• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creating Software for a Trademarked Game

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JasonJack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Hello all,

Quick question...I want to create some software for a very old game most of us have played at some point, Skee-ball, but it appears the game is actually trademarked by a sole company. I had no idea!

Does the trademark stand for the Skee-ball name, or the game as well?

What if I used another name for the software I want to create? Would this be okay or is this still considered infringement?

I don't want to do this illegally, so I'd like to cover all of my bases before proceeding.

FlyingRon

Trademarks are for what they say they are. The Skee-Ball name is trademarked. You can't use it. The game once was patented but that expired a long time ago. You could build a similar game and call it something else if you like.

JasonJack

Thank you so much Ron for your swift reply. I suppose changing the name to "Ski" as opposed to "Skee" is cutting it to close though?

I look forward to spending more time here and sending a few friends over.

FlyingRon

Yes, that would definitely cause a confusion with the real mark. By the way, they also trademarked skee-bowl I think. I'd use something unrelated like "Ring Bowling" or something like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">