• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creating TOS for site

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rapture

I'm creating a forum and found a really good TOS on another forum (not this one) I realize I can't copy it because it's protected by copyright laws. Can I copy it and change the sentences to match my site better? How much would I have to change the sentences that copyright infringement wouldn't be an issue? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm creating a forum and found a really good TOS on another forum (not this one) I realize I can't copy it because it's protected by copyright laws. Can I copy it and change the sentences to match my site better? How much would I have to change the sentences that copyright infringement wouldn't be an issue? Thanks.
1: US Law Only
2: Why would you expect us to help you steal?

justalayman

have you considered asking that site who wrote their TOS and seeking permission to use their work, obviously altered to refer to your site rather than theirs?

I suspect it would be possible to negotiate a fair price for the work.

Rapture

1: US Law Only
2: Why would you expect us to help you steal?
Thanks for nothing. If you think people don't do just what I suggested then you don't have a clue.

have you considered asking that site who wrote their TOS and seeking permission to use their work, obviously altered to refer to your site rather than theirs?

I suspect it would be possible to negotiate a fair price for the work.
I've thought about this, thank you. I might just do that and I am willing to pay. I called a few local Attorneys to find out if they can write it but they didn't seem to have a clue about internet law or how to write something like that.

If they say no, then any idea of who can do it or how I would have it done? The reason I was going to use the one I mentioned was because of their outline of the TOS, not the content but I didn't want to take any chances.

Zigner

Too bad you can't follow the rules...

But, that's what you're asking for advice on how to do, huh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for nothing. If you think people don't do just what I suggested then you don't have a clue.

I've thought about this, thank you. I might just do that and I am willing to pay. I called a few local Attorneys to find out if they can write it but they didn't seem to have a clue about internet law or how to write something like that.

If they say no, then any idea of who can do it or how I would have it done? The reason I was going to use the one I mentioned was because of their outline of the TOS, not the content but I didn't want to take any chances.

Silverplum

You've still managed to not post the name of your US State. :rolleyes:

That's not what Zigner wrote. He knows, I know, you know, we all know that people break the law all the time, every day. :rolleyes:

Rapture

You've still managed to not post the name of your US State. :rolleyes:

That's not what Zigner wrote. He knows, I know, you know, we all know that people break the law all the time, every day. :rolleyes:
SC

I just think he/she automatically assumed I was trying to steal when I'm not. I also read some other posts from this member and they seem like a troll but maybe not. If members posting in this thread read everything I said, they would get that I'm looking for help. I'm asking for info. on how I can have a TOS written by an attorney or who else would do this. Yes, I like the other sites TOS and yes I would like the same format/guidelines or whatever you want to call it but I don't want it word for word and I don't want to copy it. When I asked how much of it has to be changed for it to be legal than that's what I want to do, follow the law.

Zigner

SC

I just think he/she automatically assumed I was trying to steal when I'm not. I also read some other posts from this member and they seem like a troll but maybe not. If members posting in this thread read everything I said, they would get that I'm looking for help. I'm asking for info. on how I can have a TOS written by an attorney or who else would do this. Yes, I like the other sites TOS and yes I would like the same format/guidelines or whatever you want to call it but I don't want it word for word and I don't want to copy it. When I asked how much of it has to be changed for it to be legal than that's what I want to do, follow the law.
No, what you asked was for help on copying and modifying someone elses work so that you wouldn't get caught.

I'm sure you can find an attorney who would love to take your money.

Rapture

Zigner, I would appreciate it if you would not post in my thread. I didn't come on this site to argue with a person that doesn't know me. I see your posts in other threads that you are a negative person and not helpful. Not to mention, not an attorney. You may not have anything else to do but post in this forum but I need to get help here and move on. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">