• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creating a website using a copyrighted name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teknio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I want to create a website which will use a generic domain name. For example, ploritioks.com.

On my website I want to use a copyrighted name to describe my website. So lets get an example. Lets say I want to use the name McDonald's to describe what I want to sell. At several places on my website I mention McDonalds. And on my website I sell advertising, so I do make some kind of profit from it.

This is not exactly the case, but close to it. In my case, McDonalds, is the best way to describe my business.

Am I allowed to do this?

Mike

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I want to create a website which will use a generic domain name. For example, ploritioks.com.

On my website I want to use a copyrighted name to describe my website. So lets get an example. Lets say I want to use the name McDonald's to describe what I want to sell. At several places on my website I mention McDonalds. And on my website I sell advertising, so I do make some kind of profit from it.

This is not exactly the case, but close to it. In my case, McDonalds, is the best way to describe my business.

Am I allowed to do this?

Mike
Once McDonald's gives you permission, sure.

quincy

Names like McDonald's cannot be copyrighted. Names like McDonald's are trademarked.

And you cannot trade off a famous name without facing a cease and desist notice (possibly with a demand for compensation) and/or a trademark infringement lawsuit and/or a whole host of other possible legal actions.

What is worse, you would be up against the legal team of a major corporation. Your dollars will never match their dollars.

You can use a trademark in a descriptive sense (ie, I ate some McDonald's chicken McNuggets) but you cannot use a trademark to boost your own business or attract consumers to your site.

I suggest one of two things: You either seriously re-think your plans or you consult with an attorney in your area for a review of all facts of your intended use (and who will probably tell you to seriously re-think your plans, but at $300 an hour ;)).

Good luck with your website.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">