• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custom-made Product for Resale? Copyright it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jabarne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Hi all,

I have an idea for taking a product currently on the market, and custom painting them and putting them up for sale. I have seen several of these for sale with the custom painting, so I'm not very concerned with the manufacturer wanting profit, but there is a twist. I want to use college team logos/championship logos on the finished product.

A) Do I need to get involved with the college/NCAA for use of the logo, or could I make mine slightly different and skip that step?

B) How do I go about getting a copyright so nobody else will make them and I have sole rights to produce these?

Thank you in advance!

Jim

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Jim -

So, let me get this straight...
You are asking us for advice on how to steal the intellectual property of not one, but TWO other entities...

Not gonna happen. Make your own stuff up.

FlyingRon

As Zig says, it ain't going to happen.

Colleges (especially those with big sports programs) jealously guard their trademarks on the school and team names and logos. There's no "slightly changing" things that's going to make it legal to use without their permission. Any licensing will undoubtedly require a payment to the school.

Then you want to know after you take someone else's IP, whether you can do something to prevent someone else from doing the same to you? You want it both ways, eh?

Jabarne

The custom-made products currently for sale simply have been painted, nothing team-related, and come in various shapes and sizes and from various manufacturers. The idea I have is very specific to one product, with one design, just possibly different colors. The idea is all mine. The intellectual property would definitely belong to me at this point... from my understanding.

The use of the logos is something that I thought would be the snag, which is one of the reasons I came here. The other is because I know nothing about starting this up.

Another possiblility is selling the idea to a company that has the means to actually produce these on a mass scale. How would I go about doing that? I would think there's more to it than calling them, telling them my idea, and asking for a check.

Again, thank you for helping me understand what I'm dealing with here.

FlyingRon

Advice on negotiation and other business model issues is a bit outside of the scope of this forum. But yes, you call them up and if they are amenable they most likely have existing contracts that they modify for your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">