• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Derivative work for Commercial use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mhilosh

Upon seeing a great photograph of a white tiger, I created a skateboard design for a skateboard company, that features a white tiger in the same pose. I wanted to know if that was legal, considering it is for commercial purposes. I would like to think that it should be since it is just an animal standing up, which could have been thought of by anyone, but I don't want any legal troubles of course.

Original Photo: White tiger series: Photo by Photographer Birte Ragland - photo.net

My Design: Monstrosity picture by SummitSkateboards - Photobucket

Any help is greatly appreciated. If affected by state, this all takes place in Michigan.

The Occultist

Since your plan is to use your logo commercially, the best thing you can do is sit down with an actual attorney (many attorneys can offer free or cheap consultations) so that he can personally review both images and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">