• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Derivative works

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jessy Daniels

I am wondering if it is legal to draw an image that resembles M.C. Escher's famous lithograph of the hands holding pencils, but changes the hands so that they are holding computer mouses. All Escher works are copyrighted, by Cordon Art in the Netherlands. Do I need to obtain permission for this project to make logos for an educational project? Thanks.

L

loku

Escher drawing

I believe the drawing you plan would be a derivative work and therefore it would be a copyright infringement unless it qualifies under the “Fair Use” exception, which allows certain uses of copyright material for educational purposes. The determination of whether a use qualifies under this exception is not entirely cut and dry.

I would suggest you read Copyright Office Circular 21, “Reproduction of Copyrighted Works by Educators. It discusses the problem and provides the guidelines for interpreting the law on this. The link is http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ21.pdf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">