• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Design Patent vs. Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melristau

I have designed a group of retail products that are different "embodyments" of a core concept. (None of these have been made public or put into production at this point.) I know that I can copyright each of the specific products but it is not clear to me how a copyright differs greatly from a design patent. As I understand, each approach protects a single, specific creative "embodyment." The embodyments/products that I have designed to date (5) - while utilizing the same core concept - can be sold into a variety of markets.... and there are numerous additional unique products that can be designed around the core concept that I have originated.

Is it possible to protect through a design patent the core concept by providing as examples the current 5 embodyments? Or, can I protect only the specific embodyments and not the core concept?

Ideally I would like to move into the market place three products but then license the use of my core concept to other publishers/manufacturers.
Thanks!

K

kingdomkonnect

PLEASE let me know if you recv any replies, i am facing the same situation.

M

marubear

From what I understand, yes, you can have a design patent on the core concept and the several embodiments. The several embodiments may be filed in a single design patent application, so long as their appearance is similar. (There's only one claim to a design patent.)

I am a patent agent, but a very new one, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But, you might want to look at this article for further information:
http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa120101c.htm

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">