• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute Over Unique Boat Design

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tommyl

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My friend was hired to build a fishing boat. My friend, the boat builder, had a unique design in his head, and built a one-of-a-kind fishing boat for the man. The boat builder's design was entirely in his head and the only thing he "put on paper" was a series of arcs that he used in the design. During the course of the construction, the man who hired him spoke casually to the boat builder about the possibility of going into business together building similar boats. My friend would provide the knowledge and construct the boats and the man would finance the business. This was casual conversation and no agreement was made.

However, when the boat was finished, the man tried to take possession of the "arc drawings." The boat builder was able to get them back. Now the man has hired someone to build a boat exactly like my friend's unique design using a part that my friend built in the early stages of the boat building process.

This is truly a unique design, never before used and the boat builder originated the design. Does he have any recourse to prevent them from stealing his design?

racer72

What has your friend done to protect the idea? Without a copyright or design patent, it would be difficult at best for your friend to make a claim. Also, ideas cannot be copyrighted or patented. A copyright would require specific design drawing or blueprints. Your friend may wish to speak to a copyright attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">