• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keithdd

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

If I create artwork on the Etch A Sketch drawing toy (using the knobs, the way it was designed to be used) and then photograph my work including the entire face of the Etch A Sketch, do I need to get permission from Ohio Art, the manufacturer of the Etch a Sketch if I want to publish and sell the photographs either through a publisher or on my own?:confused:

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

keithdd said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

If I create artwork on the Etch A Sketch drawing toy (using the knobs, the way it was designed to be used) and then photograph my work including the entire face of the Etch A Sketch, do I need to get permission from Ohio Art, the manufacturer of the Etch a Sketch if I want to publish and sell the photographs either through a publisher or on my own?

My response:

. . . and, when you called the good people at "Ohio Art", what did they have to say?

IAAL

K

keithdd

Concerning Ohio Art's reply, I have had a number of conversations and correspondences with them. While they have been pleasant and polite they have been cool to my suggestion of partnering with them to promote the Etch a Sketch with my talent and skill. I have not posed the above question to them yet because I expect them to have a bias even if I have no legal obligation to obtain their permission or license. That's what I'm not sure about. I'm looking for an opinion from an objective party.
I do acknowledge Ohio Art's registered trademark on my web gallery at www.wanderline.com

K

keithdd

still wondering re: do i need to license?

still wondering if "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" or anyone else has any further opinions on my licensing question. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">