• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I owe (X) persons money for helping me with a book?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IrishPanda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I am working on a book that I plan on selling soon. I have worked on it for many years and have had a few friends give me some advice and help me with a few minor aspects of the book. If this book is sold, and I include some of the ideas they have given me, do I legally owe those friends money? I plan on sending them some money if I turn a profit but I'm wondering if they can sue me if I sell it and don't give them enough. If you need more information, I own an LLC and the book is property of my LLC. I am the sole member of the LLC.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I am working on a book that I plan on selling soon. I have worked on it for many years and have had a few friends give me some advice and help me with a few minor aspects of the book. If this book is sold, and I include some of the ideas they have given me, do I legally owe those friends money? I plan on sending them some money if I turn a profit but I'm wondering if they can sue me if I sell it and don't give them enough. If you need more information, I own an LLC and the book is property of my LLC. I am the sole member of the LLC.
The answer to your question is a conditional "no."

You would not legally owe your friends money if you use their ideas or take their advice when writing your book. Ideas on their own are not rights-protectable. It will be the expression of the ideas that can provide rights and corresponding obligations.

That said, and the reason for the "conditional," is that if your friends, for example, assisted with writing any of the book's content or they assisted with the editing of your manuscript, they might be entitled to payment.

Also, anyone can sue anyone else for any reason at all, so it is possible for your friends to try to collect through a lawsuit some of your profits if your book is successful. Whether any suit would have merit or not will be determined by the facts of the working relationship you have with these friends.

Whatever the facts are, it is always nice to credit in a book those who have helped you along the way.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">