• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I own it???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

STRL_ACOUSINS

I'm in Ontario, Canada... I don't know if anybody'll be able to help me, but I'm at a loss here.

I do technical phone support for a major computer OEM. My job is technical support, period. On my own, between calls, I have developed a piece of software (HTML based, in notepad, on my work computer), to make my job easier.

My employer has expressed interest in the program... What I want to know is, do I own the intellectual property?

I developed the software on work time, although not at the request of my employer. It is not part of my assigned work duties.

I would really like to know what's going on here, I'm afraid that it's going to turn out that I don't own the property, and all of my hard work (and potential money) will be for naught.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Imagine, if you will, a very large, long, and wide black line dividing Canada from the United States. It's called a "border."

That's the line this site uses. That's why we say at the top of this screen, "U.S. LAW ONLY".

Canada has not been annexed into the United States. Someday. But not yet. And, when we do, all the Frenchies will be shipped back to France. We'll turn Manitoba into a military shooting range, and Ontario into a gigantic barracks.

So, until this happens, please locate a similar site in Canada.

Thank you.

IAAL

S

STRL_ACOUSINS

I realize that this is US law... I did make note at the top of the post that I wasn't sure if you could help me... A simple "no" would have sufficed.

I posted here because I was wondering what the US law would be that applies in this case. I'm just looking for a general idea.

I suppose with free, you get what you pay for... Perhaps you could take a lesson or two in tact. There was no call for sarcasm.

Perhaps I was expecting too much from a country whose only desire is to destroy those not like them and rape their natural resources.

Good luck with that manifest destiny thing...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

STRL_ACOUSINS said:

I realize that this is US law... I did make note at the top of the post that I wasn't sure if you could help me... A simple "no" would have sufficed.

MY RESPONSE: Obviously, a "simple no" would not have sufficed. We already said "U.S. LAW ONLY" but you chose to sidestep or ignore it, and decided to post anyway. It's the same thing if there was a "Stop" sign, and you made a conscious decision to go through the intersection without stopping.

I posted here because I was wondering what the US law would be that applies in this case. I'm just looking for a general idea.

MY RESPONSE: General ideas can be dangerous, innaccurate and in most, if not all, cases it's a waste of time. Knowingly giving you potentially dangerous information could be worse than your original problem. And, besides, if you can't act upon the information anyway, then it's a waste of our time.

I suppose with free, you get what you pay for... Perhaps you could take a lesson or two in tact. There was no call for sarcasm.

MY RESPONSE: That's right, you got what you paid for. I was "tactfully" informing you of that which you purposefully chose to ignore. There was every cause for sarcasm because you obviously know how to read and write English, yet you posted here as if you've never used the language at all. How much more plain, and easy to read, and understandable could we have stated the words, "U.S. LAW ONLY"?

Perhaps I was expecting too much from a country whose only desire is to destroy those not like them and rape their natural resources.

MY RESPONSE: Come over to the "dark side", Luke! Let's all sing the "Star Spangled Banner"! We shall overcome. We will take over the earth. Give us a day or two.

Good luck with that manifest destiny thing...

MY RESPONSE: Thank you.

IAAL

P.S. So, where the hell was Canada, our supposed friend, when we needed her to help us fight terrorism? You know, the very same terrorism that can affect Canada? So, when we needed her, and asked our "good friend" to help, what did she do? I'll tell you - - she folded her arms and turned her back to us!

So, don't give me any of your "Great White North" crap.

Last edited:
S

STRL_ACOUSINS

It is not the world's responsibility to fight YOUR wars. We're not your babysitter. You can clean up your own genocidal messes.

True, terrorism does affect us all. However, if it were not for your dismal foreign policy, perhaps you wouldn't have so many enemies. Perhaps if you didn't kill millions upon millions of innocents with economic sanctions, you wouldn't have so many enemies.

And don't try to tell me that it was a war against terrorism.

When was the last time you heard the name "Osama Bin Laden" in the news? How about "Saddam Hussein"?

Open your eyes, Neo. You're living in a dream world.

Bush cares about terrorism about as much as he cares about what kind of seasoning to put on his "freedom fries".

I apologize that we won't be your patsy like Blair...

Soon, the US will move on to Syria, or Lybia, or North Korea... It doesn't matter. They're all the same. You'll just claim that they're "harbouring terrorists". Bush should be tried as a war criminal. You see, there's a reason why terrorists aren't targetting Canada... And it's not just because we only have dog sleds and igloos... It's because we don't try to push around every country we can, simply because we can.

You've made your bed, now you must lie in it. Terrorism isn't destroying America, poor foreign policy and economic sanctions is.

So good luck finding Saddam, or Osama...

Or have you already forgotten those names?

JETX

Okay, lets put all this aside and answer your original question.
Of course you own the program. In fact, since it was done entirely on your own free volition, you have probably earned a right to part of the company revenue stream also.

So, absolutely, walk into your bosses office, pull up a chair alongside his, and prop your feet up on his desk (after all, it is partly yours). Light up a cigarette and turn to him and say, "Hey, bro. How's it hangin'?". Then, walk out and go to lunch, telling him with a casual 'over the shoulder' comment, "I'll be back when I get the chance".

Please be sure to respond back here and let us know what you got from your employer.
Good luck.

S

STRL_ACOUSINS

Thank you.. I didn't come here to argue, just to have (what I thought was) a simple question answered.

I apologize if I have offended anybody, but was rather frustrated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

STRL_ACOUSINS said:

"but was rather frustrated."

===================================

My response:

So were we when you off-handedly acknowledged our "stop sign" but chose to ignore it and posted anyway.

And, so were we when Canada told us to go "screw" ourselves when we needed her, a friend, and what we mistakenly believed, was an ally.

So, when crap happens to Canada (and it will someday), please, give us a call. We'd love to return the favor.

IAAL

HomeGuru

STRL_ACOUSINS said:
Thank you.. I didn't come here to argue, just to have (what I thought was) a simple question answered.

I apologize if I have offended anybody, but was rather frustrated.

**A: please don't get frustrated, get even. Yes, set up a meeting with your boss and tell him/her that you will be calling the shots from now on. And you want a raise, a $100K joint venture agreement signing bonus and a closer reserved parking stall. Additionally, you want a profit and equity sharing agreement and a new title, say Vice-President of IT.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Hey, guys. We keep forgetting to place an "eh?" at the end of our sentences. Perhaps, we should have ended our sentences the way New Jerseans and New Yorkers end their sentences . . .

"Screw you, Canada."

IAAL

S

STRL_ACOUSINS

Wow... such helpful people....

BTW: The site says: "US LAW ONLY".... I don't recall reading anywhere: "No Canadians/hoosiers eh?"

So, if it's US LAW only, then tell me what US LAW would say...

eh?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

STRL_ACOUSINS said:

"Wow... such helpful people...."

====================================

My response:

Yes, we are. In time of great tragedy or natural catastrophe, in any place in the world, who's always there, or first on the scene?

. . . the great, benevolent, Canada?

Sorry, but no. You'd be lucky if Canada sends a note of condolence to the stricken nation.

We spilled blood to keep the Americas (you know, you're in the Northern Hemisphere and as such, you're part of the Americas) safe and free. In the event of attack, do you think Canada has an armed forces like the U.S.? What, Canada has 3 airplanes and a rubber band?

We could have used Canada's manpower. That extension of friendship could have saved lives and ended the war within days rather than weeks. We would have gladly given Canada all the tanks, guns and planes she would have needed - - just give us your manpower!

So, like I said, we know our "friends" and don't give us that "Great White North" crap.

We help our friends. We tell our "not so good friends" to piss off.

IAAL

HomeGuru

STRL_ACOUSINS said:
I'm in Ontario, Canada... I don't know if anybody'll be able to help me, but I'm at a loss here.

Thanks

Adam

**A: look, we don't know you from Adam, but in answer to your question; no you don't own it. Your brain is only rented, remember? And your lease is up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">