• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domain name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doron

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

2 years ago I bought LAUNIVERSALSTUDIOS.COM
At first, I intended to find out about discounted tickets and sell them online but I couldn't get anywhere**************regardless, after a few months I received an Email from one of the managers there saying: "you better let the domain laps....." meaning let it go.
I have no intention in shadowing their official site and "steal" consumers but I do want to use it to make profit. So I guess main main Q is:
What am I allowed to do?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

2 years ago I bought LAUNIVERSALSTUDIOS.COM
At first, I intended to find out about discounted tickets and sell them online but I couldn't get anywhere**************regardless, after a few months I received an Email from one of the managers there saying: "you better let the domain laps....." meaning let it go.
I have no intention in shadowing their official site and "steal" consumers but I do want to use it to make profit. So I guess main main Q is:
What am I allowed to do?
What are you allowed to do? You are allowed to let the domain name lapse, for one thing, if you want to avoid a notice from Universal Studios that you are infringing on their trademark rights.

A trademark holder can prevent a domain name holder from using the domain name if the use confuses consumers, or is likely to confuse consumers, or if the use of the domain name dilutes in some way the value of the trademark.

There are better ways to make money than to try to profit off someone else's trademark - especially when you are liable to lose any and all profits (plus) when you are sued.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">