• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domain name, website, newsletter confiscation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caissa

North Carolina, USA

I am registrant of a domain name used by a non-profit organization. I provided the domain name and hosting service to the organization for an annual fee, and volunteered services as web site designer, developer, and web site administrator. I also volunteered services as designer, creator, and publisher of a newsletter for the organization.

The organization president terminated my services so the organization could gain "complete" and "sole" control of the web site and newsletter.

Now, the organization is using a similar domain name to mine (the only difference is two dashes in the wording), and they have uploaded past newsletters, that I designed and created, from my web site to their web site.

I received no compensation for my work or creations. I was not an organization employee, and the work I performed was not on a "work for hire" basis. Do I not own the copyrights to the web site and newsletter?

Can the organization legally confiscate the domain name, web site, and newsletters that I created?

The organization has not registered its name as a trademark. Would my application for registration of the organization name as a trademark protect my interests?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dave1952

So what's going on? You volunteer your services to make the web-site and the newsletter. Now you object to the posting of the newsletter on the organization's web-site.
It's pretty clear that you made a donation of your time and your work. It sounds too late to try and claim copyright on things that you gave away.
You sound mad that they terminated your services.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">