• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domain Protection for a Review Website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warehousedream

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I want to create a review website for a fitness equipment company. I purchased a domain using the equipment company's name followed by "reviews". I plan on doing Youtube reviews on their products. I'm in the process of getting a logo done and was wondering If I was allowed to use their same name and logo with the word Reviews below it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I want to create a review website for a fitness equipment company. I purchased a domain using the equipment company's name followed by "reviews". I plan on doing Youtube reviews on their products. I'm in the process of getting a logo done and was wondering If I was allowed to use their same name and logo with the word Reviews below it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
First, there is generally no problem in creating a review website that focuses on one business, its products or its services. But you cannot use the logo owned by the fitness equipment company and you cannot create confusion among consumers by making consumers think your site is endorsed or sponsored by the equipment company. This means you must be careful how you use their trademarks (names, logos, slogans, etc), especially in your web site set up and in your promotions for your site.

The domain name may or may not cause you difficulty. A trademark holder can sue you over your use of a domain name not only if it confuses consumers as to the owner/operator of the site but also if it can be seen to dilute the value of a famous mark. With "reviews" in your domain name, confusion seems unlikely - but what seems unlikely to me with information provided on an unknown company may seem more likely if I knew which fitness equipment company you are talking about (BUT, please do not provide the real name here).

And you have an additional potential problem with the reviews that are published on your site. It is easy for a review to stray from the pure opinion of a consumer into defamation territory. As a site owner, you are offered some protection from lawsuits resulting from the content posted to your site if you do not help with its creation or encourage its creation (see Communications Decency Act, Section 230). But, even with this potential immunity from suit, you and your site can still be sued. For this reason, you will want to be sure to carry liability insurance.

You might want to have the specifics of your website personally reviewed by an IP attorney in your area, who can better assess your legal risks. Whenever you intend to use the rights-protected material of other, there will always be a legal risk.

FlyingRon

The trademark holder or company whose name you use doesn't have to SUE you at all. Domain names are not controlled by any sane rule of law. All they need to do is pay a few thousand to one of the UDRP arbitrator panels and you'll likely lose that domain.

warehousedream

Thanks for the replies.

How do other review websites do it? This is very popular...

Would a bunch of disclaimers on the website help??

quincy

Thanks for the replies.

How do other review websites do it? This is very popular...

Would a bunch of disclaimers on the website help??
How do other review websites do it? Other review websites get threatened with lawsuits or sued. ;)

Having a disclaimer (or several disclaimers) cannot prevent a lawsuit but can help to mitigate damages in the event of a lawsuit.

The best way to protect yourself and your website is with a personal review by an attorney who is well-versed in publishing laws, and by having insurance enough to cover you and your website in the event of a lawsuit. I do not see your domain name as problematic but this does not mean it cannot be seen as problematic by the fitness equipment company.

There is a lot of good information on the Knight Citizens News Network that you might find helpful in developing your website: http://www.kcnn.org

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">