• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ecuational use of bootleg remix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

producer

NY
Greetings,

I am a musician that has produced a bootleg remix of a popular tune. The artist's record label is based in the UK. Someone leaked a recording of the artist's vocal mic during a live tv performance, which I downloaded from youtube. I attend an online production school based in New York and the teacher would like to use it as an educational example for the class, but is unsure of any possible legal conflicts. Would he be able to legally do so? Thank you.

Last edited:

quincy

NY
Greetings,

I am a musician that has produced a bootleg remix of a popular tune. The artist's record label is based in the UK. Someone leaked a recording of the artist's vocal mic during a live tv performance, which I downloaded from youtube. I attend an online production school based in New York and the teacher would like to use it as an educational example for the class, but is unsure of any possible legal conflicts. Would he be able to legally do so? Thank you.
What exactly is your online production school teacher hoping to teach with your bootlegged remix?

Perhaps he hopes to teach the students about 17 USC Code §1101 Unauthorized fixation and trafficking in sound recordings and music videos (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1101)? Or perhaps he wants to teach the students about the Court finding in United States v. Martignon, 492 F.3d 140, 2d Cir, 2007 (http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/packets003769.shtml)?

As a musician, you should know what is legal and what is not. As a teacher in a production school, your teacher should know what is legal and what is not. The fact that neither of you apparently know this is troublesome.

Using an illegal bootleg of a live performance for an educational purpose does not make the creation of the bootleg or the use of the bootleg legal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">