• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

educational use of downloaded materials, fair use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mightypants

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachussetts

I'm wondering how laws about downloading media (music, videos, etc.) are affected by fair use specifically with regard to using such media for educational purposes. As a musician and a student in music school I have many times in the past been given copies of scores, recordings, etc. by professors for course study. My understanding is that this (at least in most cases) falls under fair use and is therefore not an infringement of copyright law. I'm wondering, therefore, if downloading similar media for my own educational purposes could also constitute fair use.

I often transcribe recordings and analyze their content as part of my continuing music study. Provided that this is my purpose and that I make no monetary gain or impact the market of the original works, can this acquisition of copyrighted materials be considered fair use? Any information would be appreciated.

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachussetts

I'm wondering how laws about downloading media (music, videos, etc.) are affected by fair use specifically with regard to using such media for educational purposes. As a musician and a student in music school I have many times in the past been given copies of scores, recordings, etc. by professors for course study. My understanding is that this (at least in most cases) falls under fair use and is therefore not an infringement of copyright law. I'm wondering, therefore, if downloading similar media for my own educational purposes could also constitute fair use.

I often transcribe recordings and analyze their content as part of my continuing music study. Provided that this is my purpose and that I make no monetary gain or impact the market of the original works, can this acquisition of copyrighted materials be considered fair use? Any information would be appreciated.
Fair use is a four-part balancing test. Educational use mitigates towards a use being fair, but does not automatically make a use fair. That said, if you are downloading stuff for your own personal use at home, and not reposting it on your own website or making copies to give away or sell, then the chances of the question of "fair use" ever coming up are so remote as to be essentially zero.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">