• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

entering photo w/o permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gina murphy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
Hello,
I have entered photos in a contest and somebody re-entered the same photos with very nasty remarks on it. I tried e-mailing the company but to no avail. Isn't this illegal? thousands of people can view this photos and it's very embarrassing, I felt being harrassed. Can I get some help on how to stop this person ?He re-enter them 4 times .Thanks

gina murphy

he copy and pasted the web page, and deleted the text, then he saved the pictures to his computer. He then uploaded the picture with nasty comments. atleast thats how i think he would do it.

quincy

He violated your copyright so, yes, it is illegal. Continue trying to contact the website where the photo was posted. Does the infringer identify himself?

gina murphy

No, I don't exactly know who the responsible person is. But the company might know, bec. for him to be able to enter the photo, he has to give his info ,unless he gave them a fake one. It's lifetimetv that's doing the contest, I called them and emailed them several times already.

quincy

DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act. A DMCA notification is a take-down notice, and service providers are expected to remove material from a website if there is a copyright infringement. If it is not removed, the owner may be held liable for the infringement.

You address the DMCA notice to the provider hosting the website. It can be sent by fax, mail or put on the website. You can find a template of the DMCA request online.

Last edited:

gina murphy

Thank you for the information! The Company actually called tonight and we were told that there is no way to catch the perpetrator. He could have given them a fictitious name. On the other hand, they will remove the photos that this guy posted. I still feel that this person shld be punished.

quincy

I am glad they called you and are removing the offending material. Chances are pretty good this character will "strike" again - maybe next time he will be caught.

gina murphy

hey Quincy, I was just reading your post abt. the ITT guy's grammar and spelling. I was laughing so hard, you just made my day !But I noticed it too, I thought it was just mistyped but the exact words were used repeatedly. I wasn't laughing about the guy,(no offense-but I don't want to be called an A hole also;)) it was just how the conversation went. You're a character.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">