• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ericjsnover, you deleted your thread - that was not nice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Although I perhaps should have anticipated your thread deletion, ericjsnover, it was still a disappointment to see that you had. A lot of information that was provided to you by forum members was erased, and this information could have benefited others coming to FreeAdvice.

Apparently you were not sincere when you said you thought that more people should learn about the laws on essay selling and buying, and about the possible ramifications of plagiarizing and infringing on copyrights.

Here is a brief recap of your thread and of what I can remember of the information that was provided to you:

You said you were a college student (law student?) developing an app that would provide pre-written essays to (lazy, unethical) college students. You were not concerned about the students who purchased the app or your essays. What happened to them was their problem, not yours. You instead were concerned about what could happen to you legally if you sold your essays to students, knowing that these essays probably would be passed off by students as their own creations.

I gave you a link to one lawsuit filed against an essay-selling company. It is one lawsuit out of many similar ones. Here is the link again to State of New York v. Saksnit:

http://www.leagle.com/decision/197262369Misc2d554_1483.xml/STATE OF NEW YORK v. SAKSNIT

I gave you two links to state laws on essay-selling. These are two state laws out of many similar state laws. Here again are links to Florida's state law (Florida Stat Section 877.17) and California's state law (California Education Code Section 66400):

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/877.17

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=edc&group=66001-67000&file=66400-66410

You were told by several forum members that there are various and assorted repercussions possible when one plagiarizes or infringes on copyrighted material. You were told by an Ohio attorney (Ohiogal) that you might find it difficult to succeed in law school if you violate laws with your app and/or facilitate other students in cheating or violating laws. You were told by TheGeekess that colleges and universities use plagiarism checkers so students should not feel safe in submitting work that they have pilfered from others.

You questioned the difference between a blog writer's blog post and a student who takes that blog post to pass off as his own. I told you that the difference between the two is that one was legal and the other was not - and that if someone couldn't tell the difference between the two, perhaps they should go back to middle school where the word "plagiarism" is first introduced and where students first learn the importance of attribution. Or they should go back to elementary school and their parents' early teachings, when they first learn about cheating (and how they shouldn't).

The recommendation I gave you in your thread was to give up on your plans to develop a paper-pushing app and, instead, concentrate on doing something that would be of real benefit to society. That remains my recommendation to you.

Again, I am disappointed that you deleted your thread. I think it was a crappy thing for you to do.

quincy

Thanks.

I think it is probably obvious that ericjsnover's deletion of his thread really ticked me off. I never use the word "crappy" lightly. ;) :D

I'mTheFather

Perhaps you can take a little solace in knowing that his thread is readily available through Google cache, up to his post this morning.

However, he may have thought better of posting in the first place if he was using his real name.

quincy

Perhaps you can take a little solace in knowing that his thread is readily available through Google cache, up to his post this morning.

However, he may have thought better of posting in the first place if he was using his real name.
Thanks, I'mTheFather. You make a good point on the real name. If you found what you think might be our thread-deleter, let me know.

I certainly don't want any thread I create to cause anyone harm - so I will do what I have objected to here and delete my own thread (which will be a really crappy thing for me to do :)).

I DO see that Google cache captured some of it.

I'mTheFather

I wouldn't worry much about it. He's old enough to know better. :)

And how is it, people whose jobs require computer literacy don't know to limit their online presence? That confounds me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">