• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fair use of quotations/sayings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juron

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin. I am writing a book for profit. I wish to use various quotes/sayings/anecdotes that I have accumulated through my life. Some have the quoters name, and some do not. Some I have seen on bumper stickers, hats, t-shirts, heard at a seminar, on a radio, from other people, etc. The copyright office brochure says titles, names, short phrases and slogans are not protected by copyright. If I saw some quotes in a book from the library, can I use them? If I saw a quote in a book that I like, can I use it? How can I possibly know if a quote on a hat or bumper sticker is copyrighted? The quote could be in some old book somewhere, and how can I know just where ALL quotes/saying I have heard over the last 50 years are listed to avoid getting my hands slapped? Thanx loads- Ron

seniorjudge

juron said:
What is the name of your state?Wisconsin. I am writing a book for profit. I wish to use various quotes/sayings/anecdotes that I have accumulated through my life. Some have the quoters name, and some do not. Some I have seen on bumper stickers, hats, t-shirts, heard at a seminar, on a radio, from other people, etc. The copyright office brochure says titles, names, short phrases and slogans are not protected by copyright. If I saw some quotes in a book from the library, can I use them? If I saw a quote in a book that I like, can I use it? How can I possibly know if a quote on a hat or bumper sticker is copyrighted? The quote could be in some old book somewhere, and how can I know just where ALL quotes/saying I have heard over the last 50 years are listed to avoid getting my hands slapped? Thanx loads- Ron
If you want to use a copyrighted quoation in a book such as you describe, you will have to get permission of the copyright holders.

That's my educated guess.

divgradcurl

juron said:
Unless a quote/saying/anecdote is covered by a trademark, then you are free to use the quote, etc. As you correctly note, short phrases cannot be copyrighted, so there is no danger of copyright infringement with a short phrase or quote. You can check to see if a particular phrase is covered by a registered trademark by searching here: www.uspto.gov; however, just because no registration is found does NOT mean that someone will not try and assert trademark rights in a particular phrase.

However, if a particular phrase is not used to identify a company, product or service, it is highyl unlikely to have any trademark protections associated with it, and would be free for you (or anyone else) to use, commercial or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">