• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake Products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SomeGuy2009

Suppose I bought products that looked like the real thing, but were fake (i.e. knock-offs). I am fully aware that they are knock-offs and not the real branded item.

For whatever reason, now I wish to sell one of these items ...

I let it be known to the new buyer that while they look like the real branded item, they are indeed fake. I even reference that in an on-line ad ("looks like a ROlex, but is not" ... "looks like a Gucci bag, but is a fake" ... "ipod nano style, but is a clone and does not synch with ITunes" ...) etc ...

If I want to sell any of these items, can I legally do that? either on the internet or in person (NY/NJ) ...

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Suppose I bought products that looked like the real thing, but were fake (i.e. knock-offs). I am fully aware that they are knock-offs and not the real branded item.

I let it be known to the new buyer that while they look like the real branded item, they are indeed fake. I even reference that in an on-line ad ("looks like a ROlex, but is not" ... "looks like a Gucci bag, but is a fake" ... "ipod nano style, but is a clone and does not synch with ITunes" ...) etc ...

If I want to sell any of these items, can I legally do that? either on the internet or in person (NY/NJ) ...

Thanks
US Law Only!

divgradcurl

Thanks
If they are knock-offs, then no, you cannot sell them legally.

SomeGuy2009

Thanks for the responses, but as I re-read my question I'm not sure I got answered what I intended ...

What about a replica?

Suppose I have a replica of a Gucci bag. It doesn't have a label (or antyhing) that says Gucci, but it is clearly designed in the style of a Gucci bag ... can I legally sell that?

If so, can I advertise it as "being in the style of Gucci"?

divgradcurl

There isn't any easy way to answer your second question. A replica may be legal to sell, but just because something doesn't have a "Gucci" tag doesn't mean that it is a replica and not a counterfeit. Clearly something with a fake Gucci tag or logo would be a counterfeit, but a "replica" without a tag can still copy other IP that Gucci, for example, might own -- they may have rights in a particular set of colors, or a particular shape, etc.

So, there isn't a bright-line rule that says this is okay, that isn't. It's a tough call.

And using the name of the real product to describe your own product may be infringing in and of itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">