• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Name in Recent Bool without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Speedster

New York..
My Father who has been deceased for almost 10 years. He was very well known in a certain industry and is featured prominently in both name, job and image in a newly released illustrated book with text aimed at the childrens market although it has become a very popular series of books that has developed a semi-cult level of popularity. The author of the series of books passed away a few years ago, and told my father that she would leave him the rights to these books.
It was released this past week, however there was never any contact with my family to ask permission to use his name, likeness, etc.
He is a main character in this book, which will undoubtedly become a tremendous seller making plenty of money for someone.
Any thoughts on this? Is it worthy of any type of legal pursuit?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Children's Books on the New York Best Seller List - -

NUMBER 10: The Hardy Boys investigate each other.

NUMBER 9: James and the giant bottle of peach schnapps.

NUMBER 8: Alice in Wonderbra.

NUMBER 7: Buy This Book or I'll Smother You.

NUMBER 6: Curious George watches the Pamela Lee video.

NUMBER 5: The Scratch and Sniff Book of Really Old Guys.

NUMBER 4: You've got an infected limb, Charlie Brown.

NUMBER 3: The Postman Always Rings Twice...Then Breaks The Window And Steals Your Home Entertainment Center.

NUMBER 2: Of Mice And Donuts.

AND, the NUMBER ONE Children's Book on the New York Best Seller List - -

Horton Hears A Gunshot!

S

Speedster

NY... It was released 10/22 a few days ago, the first book has always been a best seller during the Holidays.

S

Speedster

NY Is there any basis that my Father's name and image has been used in this book without family's permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">