• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Famous quote copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LionelHutz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Non US

Hi all

My Product/service has on it's website, a famous quote from a novel(fictional). e.g 'To be or not to be.'
The product/service is offered worldwide.
I alter the quote slightly: 'To be or not to fish.'
The quote is from a novel, that is still under copyright.
Pretend, Shakespearean works are still under copyright and Billy's descendants are extremely protective of the copyright.

Can I still use this quote?
I would have no problem referencing Shakespeare, even though I am not stating the exact quote, and it is obvious that it is a spoof of Shakespeare. It should be obvious, I am not saying the author endorses my product(The quote comes out of the mouth of a character in the novel)

The problem is, I am using the author's quote for commercial purposes, and I don't like the word 'obvious' with regard to legal matters.

I am not looking for specific Laws, as relates to a State or even a country, just a general answer.

Many Thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Non US

Hi all

My Product/service has on it's website, a famous quote from a novel(fictional). e.g 'To be or not to be.'
The product/service is offered worldwide.
I alter the quote slightly: 'To be or not to fish.'
The quote is from a novel, that is still under copyright.
Pretend, Shakespearean works are still under copyright and Billy's descendants are extremely protective of the copyright.

Can I still use this quote?
I would have no problem referencing Shakespeare, even though I am not stating the exact quote, and it is obvious that it is a spoof of Shakespeare. It should be obvious, I am not saying the author endorses my product(The quote comes out of the mouth of a character in the novel)

The problem is, I am using the author's quote for commercial purposes, and I don't like the word 'obvious' with regard to legal matters.

I am not looking for specific Laws, as relates to a State or even a country, just a general answer.

Many Thanks
This site handles US legal questions and law concerns only.

Copyright laws have some similarities from country to country but there are enough differences to make answers based on US law ones that will do you little good in your own country.

I can tell you that laws in all countries tends to be fact-specific and you will rarely find a one-size-fits-all answer to any legal question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">