• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FCC Name and Logo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cleveland Rock

My state: Ohio

First of all, I would like to know if it's legal to use the name "FCC" (the letters themselves being an abbreviation of nothing in particular) for my own group. Second of all, I would like to know if it's legal to use the logo of the Federal Communications Commission, which is apparently in the public domain because it is a work of the United States Federal Government.

As long as we don't claim affiliation with the Federal Communications Commission, would that be permissible?

The logo in question can be found here: File:US-FCC-Logo.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks.

FlyingRon

The abbreviation FCC is not a trademark. Feel free to use it.

You are mistaken if you think that Federal Government agencies are not entitled to trademark protection. You're confusing copyright with trademark.

There's also regulation at times that bars you from using certain agencies names in a way that would imply endorsement or approval that doesn't exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">