• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fictional characters, real enterprises

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eight Gods

I'm writing a novel, and one of the characters in my story is a fictional producer working for an actual network(like ABC or CBS), but I dont plan on using the networks name in any way but to associate that my particular character works for that company. If I put a disclaimer in my book that the book is a work of fiction, could I still face an legal trouble?

quincy

There is never a guarantee that someone will not take personal offense at what you've written and decide to sue, which is why writers and/or publishers carry liability insurance to cover any suit should one arise.

From what you describe, however, it seems highly unlikely that you would be sued by the network, as long as you do not defame them in any way. Having your manuscript reviewed by an attorney prior to publication is always wise, so areas of legal concern can be addressed ahead of time.

Disclaimers, by the way, do not prevent lawsuits. They may, however, mitigate damages in the event of a lawsuit loss.

(Hey, The Occulist, Flying Ron, divgradcurl - where the heck are you guys???)

Last edited:

The Occultist

(Hey, The Occulist, Flying Ron, divgradcurl - where the heck are you guys???)
Haha now you're getting as impatient as the average thread starter; this thread is less than 12 hours old! Anywho, my answer would have been the same as yours, but mine would have been more of a guess than usual so I decided to wait for one of you guys!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">