• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filming iPhone Apps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yourwiseguy

I run a video blog on which I review iphone, itouch, and pad applications. I take video of the applications and show them in each of my videos. My concern is that I am breaking copyright because I didn't actually make the apps, and I don't own them. Do I need to get in contact with every app developer so I can get permission? I am concerned because I want to become a YouTube partner and I don't want copyright issues to hinder my acceptance into the program. Thank you in advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Some Random Guy

You are demonstrating the use of a product and not copying it. Therefore, any videos of the screens would typically fall under fair use of their copyrighted works.

But fair use has its limits, For example, if you were reviewing a book reading app and took video of every single page of the book then you would have problems. Similarly, if it is a puzzle app and you took videos of all of the puzzle solutions and thereby harmed their ability to sell the app, then you could have issues. Also, if you review a pre-release or pirated copy of the app, then your fair use exception may not apply with out specific permission.

But I would suggest that you do get in contact with the publishers because, as a general rule, app developers like publicity and you may find yourself on the recieveing end of new apps and new app updates if your blog is truly popular.

P.S. If you use the app logos to market your blog, then that may be a trademark violation, not a copyright violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">