• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filmmaker trying to obtain a copy of his own film

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Johnnystop

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hi,

My name is Johnny. I am a filmmaker. An acquaintance hired me without pay to help her produce and shoot her film. I did so without pay or contract. I invested money in it and also storyboarded and shot the entire project. She has never made a film before this one. I have. Now it has been 6 months that I have been writing her and asking her to give me a copy of the film. She insists I must sign a contract relinquishing my rights to the film and moreover if I break this contract that I must pay her compensatory damages and court fees. It is a ridiculous and humiliating move. I don't want to sign this god-awful contract but I need my work for my portfolio. I contacted small claims court thinking I could sue her for it but they only handle monetary disputes. I also want to get my rights to the film established too; if this movie makes money I would like to be compensated for my work. The contract she wants me to sign gives me nothing and gives her complete control of the film I made for her. What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">