• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food Items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helphelp

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My question pertains to the making of different food items.
My Example is this. I own a restaurant. And in my restaurant I make a burger that looks and tastes just like McDonald's Big Mac. I'm not interested in using the name, but the product would be a good addition to my menu. Am I breaking any laws by making a product that another company has, which seems to be their signature product? Is this legal? If it is or is not legal where would I find that information?

M

MSWCCC

If you try to ride on McD's success or to pass it off as a Big Mac, watch out. But if you don't and call it something else, you're fine. Ever notice how Wendy's and BK have similar things?

Just add it to the menu with a far different name, and say something like, If you like McD's Big Macs, you'll LOVE our X!

There's a perfume co. that does this all the time to Calvin Klein and such, and get away with it by letting people know it's an imposter-hence the co. name Designer Imposter! They have their own perfume name in teensy print and the designer name in BIG print and a silimar design, and say (in small print) If you love (BIG print) CK1/Tommy Girl/whatever, (small again) you'll love our x!

Oh-I have the real recipe for the Bic Mac sauce. Not so impressive. Most homes have all the stuff right there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">