• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Bandmember wants Mechanical Royalties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

olsartori

I am the sole songwriter in my band. Our old drummer recorded the drums on 10 of the 12 songs on our new CD. Our verbal agreement was that noone in the band would be paid for anything until we started to turn a profit. (to this day, noone ever has...) We are not signed to a label, and have no other contracts.

Our old drummer quit the band long before the CD's completion.

After hundreds of hours of work, the CD is now done.

The selling price is $5 per CD, and 800 are slated for sale.

Now he wants "Mechanical Royalties." Also, he claims that he must sign a waiver before we can use ANY of those tracks.

The Credits on the CD give him full credit for all that he did.

***What responsibilities do we have as a band to him?***
***How would those royalties be calculated? I see that the current statutory royalty rate is $.08 per song, and his royalties at that rate would put him at $640, or a full 36% of the net profit on these CDs! In Man-Hours he put in approximately 1.22% of the total recording/producing/designing time spent on the project. How can this be fair???***

Please help...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">