• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forwarding other people's emails

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iloveteaching

Greetings from New Jersey.

Is it a violation of copyright or any other intellectual property laws to forward another person’s email to parties not on the distribution list of the original email?

Also, if an email includes a copyright notice or other restrictive statement indicating that reproduction or other dissemination is not permitted without permission of the author, does this notice serve as a effective device for prohibiting forwarding, etc.?

I would appreciate any comments/advice on this matter.

Thanks!
J

ALawyer

Technically it is copyrighted, but unless you are doing this in a commercial context, the likelihood of suit is slight. And unless the material has been registered with the copyright office, the possibility of large damages is usually remote.

I've always been under the impression...

things written, pen on paper, addressed to me were mine to do with as I see fit, such as share with others if I so choose. Am I wrong here?

If not, how does electronic communication differ from traditional written communication?

I have a non-commercial web site where I posted a rather scathing e-mail I received and had to remove it because the author claimed copyright. I was prepared to fight this persons demand but my ISP/Host was not!

thanks

charlie

I

iloveteaching

ALawyer said:
Technically it is copyrighted, but unless you are doing this in a commercial context, the likelihood of suit is slight. And unless the material has been registered with the copyright office, the possibility of large damages is usually remote.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read/reply to my post.

I really do not intend to sue - it's just that a rather large portfolio of my work related correspondence was forwarded by a colleague to a third party at work without any request/discussion. The intent was to cause harm to me. No big deal - really - since it didn't go as planned. I just wanted to be able to address the principle at large.

Thanks again!
J

I

iloveteaching

Re: I've always been under the impression...

charlie neville said:
things written, pen on paper, addressed to me were mine to do with as I see fit, such as share with others if I so choose. Am I wrong here?

If not, how does electronic communication differ from traditional written communication?

I have a non-commercial web site where I posted a rather scathing e-mail I received and had to remove it because the author claimed copyright. I was prepared to fight this persons demand but my ISP/Host was not!

thanks

charlie
Hi Charlie

It appears there is some argument either way - regarding legal liability. thks for the insight - though.

J

M

maninwa

Remark to Charlie Neville,

I found this forum to look for advice because someone has published a private email discussion of mine on a forum.

Someone has a dispute with me over a $700. purchase, during the course of 4 days we returned email to each other trying to come to a mutually agreeable settlement.

After I sent my final reply I surfed around to see if this person was who he said he was.
What I find is that he is a web page designer, has an online auto parts store, hostes a forum and he was posting all of my email along with other comments to a discussing, "I got ripped off".

I felt physically threatened and knew my privacy had been violated. He published my email address, my phone number, my city of residence, my full name.

You should not post someone elses mail!!

This person has not stopped harassing me, his forum members have offered to "do me in", if I can find that his business is insured I may have a case for Libel, or copyright infringement, or violating my civil right to privacy.

Any comments or takers would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">