• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freelance design copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dclary

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

Hello. I am a freelance graphic/web designer who sometimes participates in contests from people/businesses who are looking for design work. If I do not win the contest, am I able to use the designs I created in an online portfolio? For example, say a company is looking for a new logo holds a contest but chooses another freelancer's design, am I allowed to put the logo I created into my portfolio? If yes, do I need to seek the permission of the contest holder first?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

Hello. I am a freelance graphic/web designer who sometimes participates in contests from people/businesses who are looking for design work. If I do not win the contest, am I able to use the designs I created in an online portfolio? For example, say a company is looking for a new logo holds a contest but chooses another freelancer's design, am I allowed to put the logo I created into my portfolio? If yes, do I need to seek the permission of the contest holder first?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
You should refer to the contest rules, to see what rights you are giving up and what rights you are retaining in your designs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">