• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

freeware applications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DrMJBrown

I understand that I can not legally sell copies of a freeware program. However, if a person developes a computer application that uses a freeware program as its programming tool, can the new application be sold commercially?

· Can I sell my service to set up the use of a freeware program?
· Can I give a customer a cd copy that has my development of a freeware program saved on it? Would that be considered selling a copy of a freeware program?
· Can I legally hire a computer programmer to use an existing freeware program and alter that program into a new program?
· If all of the above options would not be legal, would I have to hire a programmer to program a system from scratch, or can the programmer speed up the programming process by viewing, learning from, or mimmicking existing freeware programs? How "original" does the programming have to be before it is can legally be considered a program that we can call our own?

Thank you for helping me with these legal questions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">