• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

give up computer files?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oogy99

I am a graphic designer and professor at a university in Washington. About 5 years ago, another professor contacted me and asked me if I would be willing to design a book for her. She had received a grant for the project and offered me an honorarium of $1,500 to design the book. The book was then estimated to be approximately 64 pages.

During the next 5 years, I designed the 10 individual chapters of the book as I was given the text by this Professor. The final page count of the book turned out to be 232 pages -- significantly over the original estimate.

At this larger size, the original printing budget was insufficient. Therefore, I co-wrote and received two grants with the other professor to fund the expanded printing bill. These grants brought an additional $20K to the project. I also agreed to reduce my honorarium to $1000 from the original $1500 so that an additional photographer could be hired.

Conservatively, I estimate that I have now spent approximately 1000 hours designing the book over the period of five years. This past April the book was printed and I thought my commitment to the project was over.

However, recently the other professor demanded that I now turn over all digital files (image scans and layout program files) of the book to her. She wants to publish the images in journal articles, and perhaps even create a second edition of the book.

Do I have to give these files to her? We have no written or verbal agreement regarding the files. Could I be sued for not giving her the files?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">