• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Google recieved civil subpoena related to my google account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan021

United states of america

What does this mean....??? please explain it as simple as possible and what i have to give them or if i actually have to give them something

To comply with the law, unless you provide us with a copy of a motion to
quash the subpoena (or other formal objection filed in court) via email at
[email protected] by 5pm Pacific Time on February 25, 2010, Google
will assume you do not have an objection to production of the requested
information and may provide responsive documents on this date.

The subpoena stated that it was to Youtube LLC, and they were required to get my information and brought it to a courthouse what do i do?

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

you don't have to do anything, if you do not care if whoever sought the subpoena gets what they are asking for.

If you believe they have no right to the info and want to argue the point, you have to file a motion with the courts to quash the subpoena. You will have to provide a reason they should not release the info though. "because I don't want them to have it" is not an acceptable reason to quash a subpoena.

ethan021

you don't have to do anything, if you do not care if whoever sought the subpoena gets what they are asking for.

If you believe they have no right to the info and want to argue the point, you have to file a motion with the courts to quash the subpoena. You will have to provide a reason they should not release the info though. "because I don't want them to have it" is not an acceptable reason to quash a subpoena.
What would youtube be doing with my personal information will they try to sue me?

ethan021

Also what does it mean they will give me responsive documents to the date if i dont give them a motion what documents will they give me?

justalayman

they don't give you the responsive documents. they give them to whomever filed the subpoena. the responsive documents are what ever is being asked for. By providing the documents, they are being "responsive".

What would youtube be doing with my personal information will they try to sue me?
I suppose it is possible but more often I would think somebody else is seeking your information via youtube for maybe something like you posting copyrighted material.

have you done something on youtube you shouldn't have?

I have also heard of the police watching vids of people doing things and then using that as evidence to prosecute crimes. That would not be a civil situation though.

quincy

It sounds very much like you are being sued, and it appears that the subpoena is ordering Google to release your identifying information, so the suit can go forward.

The "responsive documents" are what is being ordered released and what Google must, by law, provide to the party - unless you file a motion to quash the subpoena (to prevent the release of the "documents") and email a copy of the motion to Google before the 25th.

Did you post something "anonymously" on YouTube (or elsewhere) that violates someone's privacy, defames someone, or infringes on someone else's rights (ie. copyrights), by any chance?

If so, you should be speaking with an attorney in your area so that the attorney can review the material you posted online and determine what sort of defense you have to a lawsuit. With the February 25 date fast approaching, you need to get this matter taken care of FAST.

If you do nothing, and the February 25 date comes and goes without action on your part, Google will comply with the court order and your identity (which is what I am assuming the party who sought the subpoena is after) will be released and revealed. Soon thereafter you can probably expect to be notified by the party who sought the subpoena, and receive a demand letter, or be served with a summons and complaint.

If you decide not to contact an attorney now, then you should seriously consider contacting an attorney then - as you will probably need one to help you defend against any lawsuit.

Good luck.

(Geez, I am a slow poster. Justalayman said it all. . .)

Last edited:

quincy

You need to tell your dad because, yes, if he had an advance copy and you published it on YouTube, both you and he could be in a lot of trouble.

ethan021

You need to tell your dad because, yes, if he had an advance copy and you published it on YouTube, both you and he could be in a lot of trouble.
What would the punishments be?

Also Fyi i am
15 years old

justalayman

I would have to do a little looking but if I am even close to right, take this $X0,000.00 and put some number in place of the X. that would be for copyright infringement. there are several other justifications for seeking other damages as well.

I would think just as important is your dads job is very likely in jeopardy.

you need to let your dad in on this like yesterday.

ethan021

My dad is the senior vice president of XXXX. would this
lower his chances of
losing his job?

justalayman

I suppose it depends on what the president says.

Especially due to your dads position, you need to tell him now. Basically what is happening is his company (employer) is trying to find him. He may be able to stop all the legal wranglings by simply walking into the office and say "it was me. call off the dogs"

what ever happens, you have to come back here and let us know. Hopefully he won't lose his job. If he doesn't, this has got to be one of the funniest things I have seen around here.

It would be especially hilarious if your dad initiated the action to get your info from youtube.

ethan021

I suppose it depends on what the president says.

Especially due to your dads position, you need to tell him now. Basically what is happening is his company (employer) is trying to find him. He may be able to stop all the legal wranglings by simply walking into the office and say "it was me. call off the dogs"

what ever happens, you have to come back here and let us know. Hopefully he won't lose his job. If he doesn't, this has got to be one of the funniest things I have seen around here.

It would be especially hilarious if your dad initiated the action to get your info from youtube.
Man dude that's not cool, right now im scared . But anyways thanks alot for all your help. I will most defiantly talk to my mom about it tommorow and help me tell him that i posted it. I promise to never do this again i mean honestly, i post a video of a game that comes out in 4 weeks back then and they freak out i mean atleast can't they just take it down instead of just sueing that's terrible. Thanks alot guys for everything once again.

quincy

Your dad will need an attorney, and he will want to hire one fast so, although he will no doubt be angry at what you did, he will be angrier if you do not tell him now. Although it will be your identifying information that will be turned over by Google to the party that sought the subpoena (because I am assuming it was your YouTube account), it will not be too difficult after that for the party to identify your father as the likely source of the video.

Your video on YouTube could result in huge amounts of damages being awarded. The damages awarded can be actual damages (what can be demonstrated as lost as a result of the infringement, which could be a substantial amount) or statutory damages (potentially up to $30,000 for a single infringement of one work - or up to $150,000 if found to be willful infringement, but that is unlikely in your case).

I agree with justalayman that your dad's job could be in jeopardy.

Tell your dad, , and good luck.

(once again, I am slow to post....)

justalayman

I said if your dad doesn't lose his job. Come on, I'm not that heartless.

but you have to come back and let us know what happens.

hopefully it will be limited to you being grounded or such.

and it is good to hear it sounds like you have learned a huge lesson.

but one reason they sue is so the next guy hears about it and hopefully nobody does it again. It can damage them financially.

Since your dad is who he is, sit down with him and have him explain just why they take the actions they do. I am sure he can tell you much more than I ever could.

Dang, you might get a very valuable lesson about business from all of this.

quincy

might get a valuable lesson in business. . . but he probably WON'T get any more advance copies of videos to play. ;) :D

(and I think you are wise, , to speak with your mother first :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">