• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Government Forms Copyrighted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OmegaMB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Quick question: Are government forms, like copyright registration forms and incorporation forms copyrighted? I wanted to reproduce these forms in a book and I wanted to make sure it was legal before I did so.

Also, would I be able to use the names IRS and SEC for a fictional story?

Last edited:

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Quick question: Are government forms, like copyright registration forms and incorporation forms copyrighted? I wanted to reproduce these forms in a book and I wanted to make sure it was legal before I did so.

Also, would I be able to use the names IRS and SEC for a fictional story?
Federal government forms are in the public domain. State government forms are most likely covered by copyright, but it will vary by state. You are free to reproduce the federal government forms (unless there is some other reason what they can't be reproduced, like a secrecy designation), but it would not be safe to reproduce state government forms without first ascertaining their copyright status with the state.

Yes, you can use the IRS and SEC names, or the names of any other government agency, in a book. These are facts. However, there may be limitations on the reproduction of their logos or symbols -- the federal government does maintain trademark rights on some of the logos and symbols of certain government agencies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">