• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Happy Birthday to You!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

In New York's Southern District Court on June 13, 2013, a class action suit was filed. The suit, Good Morning to You Productions Corp v Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, is over copyright ownership of the "Happy Birthday" ditty.

The birthday song was written in 1893 by Mildred and Patty Hill and it was later sold to Clayton Summy for 10% of the sheet music retail sales. Clayton Summy's company, which held the rights to the music, was later purchased by the Warner Music Group in 1998, and the rights in the "Happy Birthday" song were apparently transferred to Warner at that time.

In the ensuing years, Warner/Chappell has been collecting licensing fees on the "Happy Birthday" song from those who wish to perform the song in public. This equates to millions and millions of dollars collected in fees on the copyrighted song. Now the collection of these fees is being challenged by Good Morning to You Productions Corp., which is arguing that the "Happy Birthday" copyright expired, putting the song in the public domain.

Although there is some argument over the copyright expiration date (Good Morning is claiming 1921, but it may not have expired until the 1960s), no one has bothered to challenge the copyright ownership in the song until now.

So, whether you were aware of it or not, you may have been infringing on Warner/Chappell's copyrighted song at your kids' birthday parties over the years.

In other words, tranquility, I see a settlement demand letter in your future. ;) :p

Last edited:

quincy

It has been my understanding that that is the reason many restaurants make up their own happy birthday song
Interesting. I don't think I ever really noticed what it was that the restaurant staff sang.

What you say, though, makes sense.

tranquility

I read about that a couple of days ago. Wasn't the argument related to what rights were transferred? Something about the sheet music as opposed to the song.

I remember reading years ago the purported holders of the copyright were rather aggressive in collecting as well.

While I would love to see the challenge win, I hate there is going to be court time on something few care about except the defendant and the plaintiff's attorney.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Interesting. I don't think I ever really noticed what it was that the restaurant staff sang.

What you say, though, makes sense.
It's also why they won't play it on TV. I've actually heard the actors mention that they wouldn't be performing Happy Birthday because of copyright. :cool:

quincy

I read about that a couple of days ago. Wasn't the argument related to what rights were transferred? Something about the sheet music as opposed to the song.
Good Morning to You is claiming that Warner only owns the copyright in a 1935 piano arrangement of the song.

I remember reading years ago the purported holders of the copyright were rather aggressive in collecting as well.
I have been blissfully unaware of it all.

While I would love to see the challenge win, I hate there is going to be court time on something few care about except the defendant and the plaintiff's attorney.
Well, it is a class action suit, so what is being asked is for the return of the fees collected by Warner/Chappell over the years. Anyone who paid a fee, could come out a couple of dollars richer (. . . .in other words, you are right - the attorneys are the only ones who really care :)).

At any rate, if "Happy Birthday" is declared a public domain work, I suggest we all meet back here at that time to publicly sing a rousing rendition of it.

justalayman

Dwarfs, justalayman. It is called Detroit Dwarf.

:p

But, sure.
Oh, you can bring some of that too;)

just don't forget the midgets..

Oh, hey, forget about the midgets. I had a lapse of sense and was thinking of another forum I frequent.:eek:

just kidding.

quincy

Oh, you can bring some of that too;)

just don't forget the midgets..

Oh, hey, forget about the midgets. I had a lapse of sense and was thinking of another forum I frequent.:eek:

just kidding.
Hahaha.

(it actually sometimes worries me that I enjoy your sense of humor. . . . . :p)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">