• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Design Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kape239

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi,

I graduated from school 2 years ago. My sister is currently a Senior there now. The school football team has been on a winning streak of 3-0. She asked me to design a shirt for her. Since it was my little sister I compiled and since then I have had over 100 offers from students and parents for one of their own.
I have no time to constantly do this because I am in college and leave for work right after class till 10pm. Since I am in debt with school I figured I should make a deal with the school to sell the shirts while i get to keep a percentage of what is made.

I do not have any real free time so I will list what is on my mind and hopefully someone can help.

MY QUESTIONS:
1) Would it be likely for the school to take my offer?
2) Can I sell the shirts on my own without legal trouble since it has the school name on it?
3) If this goes through, should I have it notorized since copyright takes too long?
4) How would I keep track of how many shirts they sell?
5) Should I get a contract of some type written up?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I posted in the wrong area.

FlyingRon

Who knows what the school would do. Frankly, the promise of T-shirt revenue versus a substantial debt that either of you probably ought not to post a whole lot of faith in.

Most colleges pretty tightly license their trademarks (names, mottos, logos). A public highschool probably doesn't much care, a private school may.

Notorize WHAT? Further, copyright doesn't "take a long time." Copyright is instantaneous the second you lay down a creative work in tangible form.

A contract would be helpful if they were to do this.

Keeping track of sales is outside the scope of this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">