• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring a copyright solicitor and fair use questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgeR

Hi all

I'm researching an online business idea and one of the first to-do's (with your help and maybe a solicitor) is to establish if the idea will break fair use of copyright or not. My company is based in the UK.

Here's an example of the idea.

Publishing video podcasts that will be promoting DC Comics products in the style of a character from DC Comics. For example. reviewing Batman comics, while doing an impression of Christian Bale's Batman and wearing gloves and arm armor that match Bale's Batman costume. The videos will contain no copyright music or sound effects. The script will be original, ie. no Batman comic or movie lines. And will contain a disclaimer at the beginning detailing the copyright owners details and that the video is in no way associated with the copyright holder.

My second question is how to hire a copyright solicitor. I see some offer free consultations. I can get a solicitor an example video. Would they be able to sign off on it, confirming if it does fall user fare use? What sort of fee would you expect to pay? If DC issued a cease and desist what good would a solicitor's letter be?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

George

Last edited:

quincy

Hi all

I'm researching an online business idea and one of the first to-do's (with your help and maybe a solicitor) is to establish if the idea will break fair use of copyright or not. My company is based in the UK.

Here's an example of the idea.

Publishing video podcasts that will be promoting DC Comics products in the style of a character from DC Comics. For example. reviewing Batman comics, while doing an impression of Christian Bale's Batman and wearing gloves and arm armor that match Bale's Batman costume. The videos will contain no copyright music or sound effects. The script will be original, ie. no Batman comic or movie lines. And will contain a disclaimer at the beginning detailing the copyright owners details and that the video is in no way associated with the copyright holder.

My second question is how to hire a copyright solicitor. I see some offer free consultations. I can get a solicitor an example video. Would they be able to sign off on it, confirming if it does fall user fare use? What sort of fee would you expect to pay? If DC issued a cease and desist what good would a solicitor's letter be?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

George
FreeAdvice handles US law questions and legal concerns only. You will need to seek out advice and direction in the UK. The copyright and trademark laws of the UK will be the ones that apply to you and your business.

Some links for you to try:
https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/overview
http://www.askalawyer.co/uk/

It appears you will need to license rights from the copyright holders to implement your business plans, though. Disclaimers do not prevent lawsuits.

Good luck, George.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">