• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to defend myself when Pro-se on trail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MO

I am sued of import international edition textbook and resale in the US.
Because I can not afford an attorney, I decide pro-se on the trial which
is scheduled on the beginning of the March in NY.

All international edition books are leal copies and were obtained legally.
Actually the website encourage people to sell and buy international edition textbooks
to save money. Major media also said this business is legal.

However, I am sued by 4 publishers for 1.copy right infringement. 2. trademark infringement. 3. unfair competition......etc.

I understand without help of professional attorney, the chance to win a trial is basically ZERO. but I decide to defend myself to the best that I can. If you were me, how to defend?nCan you Please share with me some of your ideas so that I can use?

if the worst thing happens, like a judgement against me for 1 million $$$, what should I do? because I don't have anything to satisfy the judgement but I don't want to feel like I am a criminal.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Quote: Also, I am not an american , if the worst thing happens, like a judgement against me
for 1 million $$$, what should I do? leave the country?

Are you even suppose to be here at all? :confused: If not, you ought to just go straight to immigrations and save yourself the trouble and concern about a judgement on a credit report that means squat where you are from.

Quote: Also, I am not an american , if the worst thing happens, like a judgement against me
for 1 million $$$, what should I do? leave the country?

Are you even suppose to be here at all? :confused: If not, you ought to just go straight to immigrations and save yourself the trouble and concern about a judgement on a credit report that means squat where you are from.
sorry I didn't explain clear. I am legal to stay in US.
the only reason for me to stay here is because I have family member here.
we hope to stay together and leave together.

divgradcurl

well, I know someone posted some very thoughtful ideas about why, in their opinion,
selling international edition books is legal. I just want them to share me with their ideas.
Because as result I researched online, almost everybody says it is legal. but I still get sued for this. I don't expect somebody give a formal legal advice or defense , just some ideas.

I never expect American attorneys will come here to give me free help, I only hope people can discuss this issue because I am not the only one get into this trouble. If I ask help there is 1% chance somebody will talk to me , if I don't, there is no chance absolutely.
I am not sure how much more info anyone can give you here. If you want to try and defend yourself, you need to get yourself to a law library and start reading. Maybe you can get a hold of some Nolo press books on pro-se representation.

The reason why someone can get sued, even if what they are doing is probably legal, is because that's the way the system is set up -- the system is set up so that there is easy access to the legal system. The down side is, sometimes cases with limited viability get filed. In your case, while what you are doing is probably legal, there is some question -- so it's not like this is a frivolous case, or a case completely without merit.

You might also want to contact a local law school, or the local bar association, to see if there are any free or low-cost resources to help you in your defense.

Div,Thank you very much for your help and advice.

I read lots of your inputs and learned a lot. I will do my best to read some
trial materials before going there.

I have one more concern:

My situation is pretty special than others because I am not an american,
if i lose the case, I will definitely have no money to satisfy the judgement,
can I still leave the country, is there any legal consequenses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">