• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I come clean about illegal downloading?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macgeek2005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington.

So, i'm strongly against illegal downloading, and haven't illegally downloaded anything since January 21st, 2009.

However, I did download stuff illegally before then (music, movies, and software).

I want to "come out" and admit what I did, and be verified as "legal" and as someone who doesn't do that. How do I go about doing this, without accidentally getting fined a huge sum for the stuff I did do over half a year ago?

Thanks.

edit: Oh, and when I went legal, I deleted every bit of illegally downloaded stuff, and repurchased most of it. That's why I want to be confirmed as totally legal, cause I am.

Last edited:

racer72

Most of the people getting in trouble for illegal downloads are not those downloading music and such, it is those making the stuff available to download from their computer. If you do not have a P2P program on your computer, you don't have a thing to worry about.

macgeek2005

Most of the people getting in trouble for illegal downloads are not those downloading music and such, it is those making the stuff available to download from their computer. If you do not have a P2P program on your computer, you don't have a thing to worry about.
I do have P2P programs though. I have Acquisition and Vuse. I haven't used them for illegal purposes in over half a year though, and will never again use them for illegal purposes.

But I have never created torrents myself. Upon downloading a torrent i'd let it sit and upload for a while sometimes, to other users, but I never supplied anything myself.

Isis1

I do have P2P programs though. I have Acquisition and Vuse. I haven't used them for illegal purposes in over half a year though, and will never again use them for illegal purposes.

But I have never created torrents myself. Upon downloading a torrent i'd let it sit and upload for a while sometimes, to other users, but I never supplied anything myself.
okay, you want redemption.

go to confession.

start looking for a career in how to stop others from illegal downloading. you can be the new Frank Abagnale Jr.

macgeek2005

okay, you want redemption.

go to confession.

start looking for a career in how to stop others from illegal downloading. you can be the new Frank Abagnale Jr.
I just want to be certified as legal by the U.S. government since I am not breaking any laws and never will.

Antigone*

I just want to be certified as legal by the U.S. government since I am not breaking any laws and never will.
I hereby use the power vested in me to certify that you are not breaking any laws and never will :rolleyes:

~ ok do you see how stupid that sounds. Come on geek, don't be an idiot. If you want to go tell on yourself, go right ahead, but be ready to pay through the nose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">