• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Get My Business Removed From Yelp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtwarner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

If I own the Trademarks and Copyrights to the name of my small business and have not given Yelp permission to publish my Trademarks and/or Copyrights on their website, then why can't I force them to remove all references to my business containing those Trademarks and Copyrights from their website? Thanks!

quincy

If I own the Trademarks and Copyrights to the name of my small business and have not given Yelp permission to publish my Trademarks and/or Copyrights on their website, then why can't I force them to remove all references to my business containing those Trademarks and Copyrights from their website? Thanks!
Unless you own a super secret business, the name (your trademark) and address (your location) and phone number (contact information) of your business is public information and can be published. These are all also considered facts and facts are not copyrightable.

So, what other than the information above is Yelp publishing? What copyright-protected material?

quincy

Ah, yes. You are probably right, Eekamouse. :)

Since no review was mentioned, I thought he was referring to Yelp's directory listings.

Perhaps he can clarify. If he is referring to bad reviews, they are generally best ignored unless they clearly defame the business or the business owner.

Just Blue

Is not YELP a website to expose bad business owners/practices? Why are you on this site?? Did you have unhappy customers????

:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not entirely. I've seen good reviews on Yelp.

But he wouldn't be wanting to get a good review removed.

quincy

Not entirely. I've seen good reviews on Yelp.

But he wouldn't be wanting to get a good review removed.
The site was purportedly designed to assist consumers by introducing them to businesses in given areas and then helping consumers make their choices between these different businesses, products and services through the publication of consumer reviews - a consumer service not too unlike a Better Business Bureau or Consumers Report.

However, Yelp has gotten a (perhaps deserved) reputation for being more of a mix between Rip Off Report and Don't Date Him Girl, with people who have personal disputes with business owners or business representatives posting (sometimes untrue) complaints in retaliation for real or perceived wrongs.

Because complaints of all kinds are often expressed with more frequency than praise, what is posted about a business and its products or services on a review site can be an unfair skewing of reality.

Smart people generally know better than to accept as true everything they read on the internet. Unfortunately, smart people sometimes seem to be in short supply. ;) :)

burtwarner

Thanks For Your Comments

Yes! We do own a small business. Yes, we have received bad reviews - Along with lots of good ones. And, yes, like one of you said, Yelp! reviews can be malicious and completely untrue. Over the years since its creation, Yelp! has wreaked havoc on small businesses across this country. And its claim its "to help people find great local businesses" is a total and utter sham! Instead, its sole purpose, as evident by its name which sounds like "help" and is punctuated with an exclamation mark, is to help unsatisfied or unscrupulous people with an axe to grid, destroy small businesses by providing them with an unrestricted public forum to write anything they want without consequence.

I realize the above is a bold claim but let's look at the facts. It is totally free to set up an account on Yelp!, so anyone can do it unlike a legitimate site like Angie's List. One needs no accreditation or expertise to qualify any review posted nor are they required to provide any proof to back what they are writing.

Consequently, this leaves the door wide open for these so-called reviewers (I like to call them cyber assassins) to write whatever their versions of the truth actually are. And, it's all endorsed by Yelp! simply by publishing their reviews. The whole notion of being innocent until proven guilty apparently doesn't apply in the Yelp! universe. Nor do the the concepts of liable or slander. So the truth, as we all know it, isn't a requirement or even a consideration when writing a Yelp! review.

Furthermore, each of these reviews are accompanied by a "star rating" which is completely and totally inaccurate since this "star rating" system is based on a contaminated control group. It's fact that satisfied customers simply don't complain. There's no reason too. Nor do the vast majority of satisfied customers feel the need to seek out a place to voice their satisfaction with a business that did their job properly. They simply move on with their lives and never look back. Angry unsatisfied customers, on the other hand, make it their mission in life to complain at the top of their lungs about the goods and/or services that weren't up to "their" standards and will climb to the highest mountain top, in this case Yelp!, to scream at the world about their dissatisfaction.

The result of all this screaming is two-fold: 1) The business in question receives a verbal berating the likes of which can only be described as abusive, insulting and malicious. And, these scoldings, usually get personal, singling out employees and/or owners as the key villain. And, 2) The businesses resulting Yelp! "star rating" which falls between 1 (which is the worst) and 5 (being the best) is lowered significantly.

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, this "star rating" doesn't accurately reflect a business's true performance due to the lack of an equally proportionate ratio of satisfied vs. unsatisfied reviewers who log on to Yelp! to write a review. Under this negatively slanted scenario, a business is lucky if even a very small percentage of it's satisfied customer base goes to the trouble of seeking out Yelp! to write a positive review. Whereas a much larger percentage of a business's dissatisfied customers will take as much time as possible that to find as many places (like Yelp!) to complain about their experience.

Now, regarding the validity and/or truthfulness of the reviews posted on Yelp!... Yelp! claims to have created a truth detecting algorithm that "filters" out the untruthful reviews whether they are good or bad. This raises only one question in my mind... Really?! An honest to goodness truth detector?! C'mon!!! At this point, we all know that "truth detectors" simply do not exist. Sure, polygraph machines are out there, but their results are far less then 100% accurate and have even been purposely beaten by certain individuals. Because of that, it is my understanding that polygraph results are not admissible in our court system.

So, if Yelp! had actually created an algorithm that could accurately predict the truth, they would be the most famous, most desired company on the face of the planet today. And instead of being in the website review hosting business making pennies, they would be in the truth detection business making billions upon billions of dollars.

The mere fact that their algorithm is still "their" algorithm and that it's allegedly being used to sniff out bogus restaurant and dog grooming reviews, etc. is proof that the rest of the world knows that their truth detecting algorithm is itself a lie! Otherwise, every law enforcement agency, military organization and government on the planet would be knocking on Yelp's! door begging to use their truth detecting algorithm.

Now that we all know that the real truth, that being that truth has been suspended in the Yelp! universe, it is logical to assume that Yelp! freely and actively sanctions an outright lawless free-for-all for it's cyber assassins to set their sights on their targets. Consequently, anything thing is game including deceitful friends and family of a business's competitors who are free to leave bad reviews solely intent on negatively influencing another business's potential customer base while positively reinforcing their own.

Even worse, customers now use Yelp! (while still in the store) as a threat in an effort to blackmail and/or extort business owners into getting what they want whether it be a discount, no tax or something for free. The following has been heard on many occasions in stores across the country, including ours, "I'm going to write and bad Yelp! review if I don't get (insert demand here)."

Yelp! is a black cloud that just doesn't go away. Ever! Especially, once a bad review appears on Yelp!. Once these reviews are published, there's nothing a business owner can do about them. Yelp! does allow a business owner to rebut a review, but that is a no win situation that draws the business owner into an unwinnable online he said/she argument as the reviewer is also allowed to rebut the rebut.

To further establish that Yelp's! truth detecting algorithm doesn't work, below is a fake review that wasn't and to this day (even though the business owner has flagged it and even spoken to Yelp! about it) hasn't been removed or filtered by Yelp's! algorithm.

Bill C.
Granada Hills, CA
20 friends

60 reviews

Left a One Star Review

9/21/2012
Went in here with my finance to look at dresses. Found the staff and especially the owner to be ditzing, non-caring, and just plain rude. Couldn't keep their attention for more then a second and the owner was a total beatch. Dress prices were very high. I would avoid this place if I was you, there are much better shops that can take care of you and HELP you though a decision at a more fair price.

This defamatory review is 100% guaranteed pure fiction written by a disgruntled vendor who provided the store in question with very poor customer service. The reviewer became very angry when the store owner complained about his service and subsequently fired him for failure to fulfill his obligation. The real "truth" is that this man has never shopped in the store in question with his "fiancé" or any else's "fiancé" but is instead using Yelp! (like many others do) in a blatant attempt to damage this store's business and reputation.

This is a perfect example of how Yelp! encourages blatant lies and cannot be a trusted source of "truthful" information written by actual customers. The real "truth" is that people, as we all know, can be cruel and vindictive, and although Yelp! claims to "filter" out fake reviews using their truth detecting algorithm, in fact, there is NO WAY to do this as proven above.

With that said, businesses and their employees are not perfect and mistakes are made resulting in unhappy customers. Hopefully in those instances, the business in question does its very best to turn those unhappy situations into happy ones with satisfactory outcomes for both the customer and the business.

Unfortunately, with the advent of Yelp!, it is now common place for anyone (like Bill C.) to write anything they want should they be telling the truth or not. When that happens, all a business owner has to counter them with is their word, their experience and their reputation. Like another one of you wrote, the rest is left for the reader to decide. But, it stings when your business, a business that in our case has been in operation for over 55 years and has thousands upon thousands of satisfied customers who will never go to Yelp! to write a review about how great we are, gets a bad rap because of people like Bill C.

So, yes, I would LOVE to have the ability to remove my business from the Yelp! website.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
9/21/2012
Went in here with my finance to look at dresses. Found the staff and especially the owner to be ditzing, non-caring, and just plain rude. Couldn't keep their attention for more then a second and the owner was a total beatch. Dress prices were very high. I would avoid this place if I was you, there are much better shops that can take care of you and HELP you though a decision at a more fair price.

This defamatory review...
That review is not defamatory. It is pure opinion. Darn that freedom of speech thing...

Antigone*

Yes! We do own a small business. Yes, we have received bad reviews - Along with lots of good ones. And, yes, like one of you said, Yelp! reviews can be malicious and completely untrue. Over the years since its creation, Yelp! has wreaked havoc on small businesses across this country. And its claim �to help people find great local businesses�� is a total and utter sham! Instead, its sole purpose, as evident by it�s name which sounds like �help� and is punctuated with an exclamation mark, is to help unsatisfied or unscrupulous people with an axe to grid, destroy small businesses by providing them with an unrestricted public forum to write anything they want without consequence.

I realize the above is a bold claim but let�s look at the facts. It is totally free to set up an account on Yelp!, so anyone can do it unlike a legitimate site like Angie's List. One needs no accreditation or expertise to qualify any review posted nor are they required to provide any proof to back what they are writing.

Consequently, this leaves the door wide open for these so-called reviewers (I like to call them cyber assassins) to write whatever their versions of the truth actually are. And, it�s all endorsed by Yelp! simply by publishing their reviews. The whole notion of being innocent until proven guilty apparently doesn't apply in the Yelp! universe. Nor do the the concepts of liable or slander. So the truth, as we all know it, isn�t a requirement or even a consideration when writing a Yelp! review.

Furthermore, each of these reviews are accompanied by a �star rating� which is completely and totally inaccurate since this �star rating� system is based on a contaminated control group. It's fact that satisfied customers simply don�t complain. There�s no reason too. Nor do the vast majority of satisfied customers feel the need to seek out a place to voice their satisfaction with a business that did their job properly. They simply move on with their lives and never look back. Angry unsatisfied customers, on the other hand, make it their mission in life to complain at the top of their lungs about the goods and/or services that weren't up to "their" standards and will climb to the highest mountain top, in this case Yelp!, to scream at the world about their dissatisfaction.

The result of all this screaming is two-fold: 1) The business in question receives a verbal berating the likes of which can only be described as abusive, insulting and malicious. And, these scolding�s, usually get personal, singling out employees and/or owners as the key villain. And, 2) The business�s resulting Yelp! �star rating� which falls between 1 (which is the worst) and 5 (being the best) is lowered significantly.

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, this �star rating� doesn't accurately reflect a business�s true performance due to the lack of an equally proportionate ratio of satisfied vs. unsatisfied reviewers who log on to Yelp! to write a review. Under this negatively slanted scenario, a business is lucky if even a very small percentage of it's satisfied customer base goes to the trouble of seeking out Yelp! to write a positive review. Whereas a much larger percentage of a business�s dissatisfied customers will take as much time as possible that to find as many places (like Yelp!) to complain about their experience.

Now, regarding the validity and/or truthfulness of the reviews posted on Yelp!... Yelp! claims to have created a truth detecting algorithm that �filters� out the untruthful reviews whether they are good or bad. This raises only one question in my mind� Really?! An honest to goodness truth detector?! C�mon!!! At this point, we all know that �truth detectors� simply do not exist. Sure, polygraph machines are out there, but their results are far less then 100% accurate and have even been purposely beaten by certain individuals. Because of that, it is my understanding that polygraph results are not admissible in our court system.

So, if Yelp! had actually created an algorithm that could accurately predict the truth, they would be the most famous, most desired company on the face of the planet today. And instead of being in the website review hosting business making pennies, they would be in the truth detection business making billions upon billions of dollars.

The mere fact that their algorithm is still "their" algorithm and that it's allegedly being used to sniff out bogus restaurant and dog grooming reviews, etc. is proof that the rest of the world knows that their truth detecting algorithm is itself a lie! Otherwise, every law enforcement agency, military organization and government on the planet would be knocking on Yelp's! door begging to use their truth detecting algorithm.

Now that we all know that the real truth, that being that truth has been suspended in the Yelp! universe, it is logical to assume that Yelp! freely and actively sanctions an outright lawless free-for-all for it�s cyber assassins to set their sights on their targets. Consequently, anything thing�s game including deceitful friends and family of a business�s competitors who are free to leave bad reviews solely intent on negatively influencing another business�s potential customer base while positively reinforcing their own.

Even worse, customers now use Yelp! (while still in the store) as a threat in an effort to blackmail and/or extort business owners into getting what they want whether it be a discount, no tax or something for free. The following has been heard on many occasions in stores across the country, including ours, �I�m going to write and bad Yelp! review if I don�t get (insert demand here)."

Yelp! is a black cloud that just doesn�t go away. Ever! Especially, once a bad review appears on Yelp!. Once these reviews are published, there's nothing a business owner can do about them. Yelp! does allow a business owner to rebut a review, but that is a no win situation that draws the business owner into an unwinnable online he said/she argument as the reviewer is also allowed to rebut the rebut.

To further establish that Yelp�s! truth detecting algorithm doesn�t work, below is a fake review that wasn�t and to this day (even though the business owner has flagged it and even spoken to Yelp! about it) hasn�t been removed or filtered by Yelp�s! algorithm.

Bill C.
Granada Hills, CA
20 friends

60 reviews

Left a One Star Review

9/21/2012

This defamatory review is 100% guaranteed pure fiction written by a disgruntled vendor who provided the store in question with very poor customer service. The reviewer became very angry when the store owner complained about his service and subsequently fired him for failure to fulfill his obligation. The real �truth� is that this man has never shopped in the store in question with his �fianc�" or any else's fianc� but is instead using Yelp! (like many others do) in a blatant attempt to damage this store�s business and reputation.

This is a perfect example of how Yelp! encourages blatant lies and cannot be a trusted source of "truthful" information written by actual customers. The real �truth� is that people, as we all know, can be cruel and vindictive, and although Yelp! claims to �filter� out fake reviews using their truth detecting algorithm, in fact, there is NO WAY to do this as proven above.

With that said, businesses and their employees are not perfect and mistakes are made resulting in unhappy customers. Hopefully in those instances, the business in question does its very best to turn those unhappy situations into happy ones with satisfactory outcomes for both the customer and the business.

Unfortunately, with the advent of Yelp!, it is now common place for anyone (like Bill C.) to write anything they want should they be telling the truth or not. When that happens, all a business owner has to counter them with is their word, their experience and their reputation. Like another one of you wrote, the rest is left for the reader to decide. But, it stings when your business, a business that in our case has been in operation for over 55 years and has thousands upon thousands of satisfied customers who will never go to Yelp! to write a review about how great we are, gets a bad rap because of people like Bill C.

So, yes, I would LOVE to have the ability to remove my business from the Yelp! website.

I have made comments on Yelp and I have read comments on Yelp. At the end of the day, it is my choice to shop where I shop - reviews on Yelp just don't figure into my decision.

This is what we get when we have the freedom to speak our minds. I personally perfer to have that freedom, then to live in a place where voicing your opinion can get you killed.

quincy

I have made comments on Yelp and I have read comments on Yelp. At the end of the day, it is my choice to shop where I shop - reviews on Yelp just don't figure into my decision.

This is what we get when we have the freedom to speak our minds. I personally perfer to have that freedom, then to live in a place where voicing your opinion can get you killed.
While it is great to have the freedom to say what we think, some people do not know how to self-censor before speaking their thoughts. Not everything that is thought, in other words, should be communicated.

Yelp! reviewers have been sued successfully for defamation in the past. But I am afraid the example you provided, burtwarner, is as Zigner says.

If you think a negative review crosses the line from opinion or fact into reputationally injurious fiction (defamation), however, you can have an attorney in your area take a look at it. But there is no trademark or copyright violation or defamation that I see in what you have posted so far.

Most negative reviews are best ignored. Like Antigone, most people will not base their shopping decisions on review-site reviews.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just my personal thoughts on this...

I use Yelp almost exclusively for restaurants. If I see a restaurant with 3 reviews (a 5-star, a 4-star and a 1-star), I might give it a try. If I see a restaurant with 10 review, all 1 or 2 stars, I'll pass.

If I see a restaurant with 150 reviews...1/2 of them 4 or 5 starts, 30% of them 3+ stars and the other 20% less than 3 stars, I'll still go there.

It all averages out...

Proserpina

(I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it slightly ironic that the OP is upset about negative reviews on Yelp!, but gave a rather strongly-worded negative review of Yelp! itself here ;) )

jmorgan17

Yelp rating system is suspicious

The mere fact that their algorithm is still "their" algorithm and that it's allegedly being used to sniff out bogus restaurant and dog grooming reviews, etc. is proof that the rest of the world knows that their truth detecting algorithm is itself a lie!

I have seen Yelps algorithm work in very suspicious ways in my opinion. I work with businesses to assist in promoting their online presence for them. It is suspicious to me that a majority of good reviews are deleted from their ranking system and put out of site from day to day viewers who seek honest reviews when checking out a businesses they may want to do business with. Instead they are replaced with un-happy clients. Specifically a business may have 6 really great reviews and one bad review. Yelp filters out the good reviews and will put up the bad review to be fair? Then my clients will be barraged by calls from Yelp to advertise with them for $500/per month to assist them with their bad reviews? (yes my client was told this from their salesperson) I have seen a lot of discussion online from irate Yelp business owners who feel this is a form of extortion. If yelp insists on this type of review algorithm they should INCLUDE all review star ratings and average those out for the overall star rating which would be a true mean. One unhappy client + One happy client = low star rating. 5 happy clients + one unhappy client = a truthful mean average. I know that all of the original reviewers that are now out of site were very happy with my clients business but no one can see these. (these were not solicited in anyway from myself or the business owner). I do NOT agree with Yelps review algorithm, I think they are doing a dis-service to reputable companies and ruining some along the way and I feel their review algorithm needs to be reviewed itself, it is not ideal and is misleading at the expense of business owners. Reviews are VERY important to business owners and people looking to spend their hard earned money and trusted over advertising alone. I think being a responsible business means being fair to business owners with a fair review system more like amazons where they show the good and the bad but also ALL of the other reviews so people can make intelligent decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">