• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to wait for Published for Opposition and what next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turbocomppro

My trademark was Published for Opposition on April 19th. I recall reading that if no one opposes after 30 days, it will go into the next phase. Well, it's June and still no update. Do I have to do something or do I just have to wait?

quincy

My trademark was Published for Opposition on April 19th. I recall reading that if no one opposes after 30 days, it will go into the next phase. Well, it's June and still no update. Do I have to do something or do I just have to wait?
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country? Edit: Never mind. I see from your previous thread that you are located in California. :)

Anyone who opposes a mark's registration must file his written opposition within 30 days of the mark's proposed publication in the Official Gazette, but the USPTO can grant extensions. Extensions on filing an opposition cannot exceed 180 days.

And, once a mark has been placed on the Principal Register, anyone who opposes the registration can petition the USPTO for cancellation of the registration (within 5 years of publication, upon abandonment, over misuse of mark).

Last edited:

turbocomppro

What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country? Edit: Never mind. I see from your previous thread that you are located in California. :)

Anyone who opposes a mark's registration must file his written opposition within 30 days of the mark's proposed publication in the Official Gazette, but the USPTO can grant extensions. Extensions on filing an opposition cannot exceed 180 days.

And, once a mark has been placed on the Principal Register, anyone who opposes the registration can petition the USPTO for cancellation of the registration (within 5 years of publication, upon abandonment, over misuse of mark).
Yes, I'm in California. Ok so what if no one oppose it? I did not receive anything from USPTO about anyone wanting to oppose it since April 19th (date it was published in the Gazette). So the 30 days has passed. I'm just curious when my mark will go to the next phase of processing and actually be in "Registered" status.

quincy

Yes, I'm in California. Ok so what if no one oppose it? I did not receive anything from USPTO about anyone wanting to oppose it since April 19th (date it was published in the Gazette). So the 30 days has passed. I'm just curious when my mark will go to the next phase of processing and actually be in "Registered" status.
If registration of your mark has not been opposed, a certificate of registration is issued by the USPTO. The certificate of registration will be for either the Principal Register or the Supplemental Register. If your mark qualifies for the Principal Register, the USPTO publishes it in the Official Gazette.

You are notified of any existing interference or any opposition petition.

You can contact the USPTO, by the way, to check on the status of your mark. Here is the number for the Trademark Assistance Center: 703-308-9400

turbocomppro

If registration of your mark has not been opposed, a certificate of registration is issued by the USPTO. The certificate of registration will be for either the Principal Register or the Supplemental Register. If your mark qualifies for the Principal Register, the USPTO publishes it in the Official Gazette.
How long does this process usually take after it's been Published for Opposition? And after it's registered, it will be publish again in the Official Gazette?

This is my first trademark ever so I'm assuming it is for Principal Register.

You are notified of any existing interference or any opposition petition.
I have not received anything other then the typical "status report" stating it is Published for Opposition.

quincy

How long does this process usually take after it's been Published for Opposition? And after it's registered, it will be publish again in the Official Gazette?

This is my first trademark ever so I'm assuming it is for Principal Register.

I have not received anything other then the typical "status report" stating it is Published for Opposition.
You received your Notice of Publication, which means the trademark examiner approved your application. Your mark was published online in the Official Gazette. Because mark registration is rarely challenged, you are probably not facing any opposition to the registration. You will hear from the USPTO if your mark's registration has been opposed.

You should receive from the USPTO a Certificate of Registration. How long this takes depends on how fast the USPTO moves. ;)

If you want to find out what is happening with your mark, you can check the online Trademark Status and Document Retrieval System (http://tsdr.uspto.gov) or you can call the Status Line number I provided earlier.

turbocomppro

Awesome. I did find that it takes anywhere from 2-3 months after the Published for Opposition for it to go to the next phase which is USPTO issues a registration. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

quincy

Awesome. I did find that it takes anywhere from 2-3 months after the Published for Opposition for it to go to the next phase which is USPTO issues a registration. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
You're welcome, turbocomppro. Thank you for the thanks. :)

I hope all goes smoothly and your certificate of registration is issued soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">