• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am being sued by Beachbody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fastpicker89

Florida

But I am being sued in LA. I bought 100 sets of Beachbody's Insanity DVDs from a Chinese website, thinking they were real. I resold them on eBay (still thinking they were real, because they LOOKED so legit). Now I am being sued by Beachbody for $15,000 copyright infringement.

Is this right? Should I be being sued? Any advice is greatly welcomed.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

Florida

But I am being sued in LA. I bought 100 sets of Beachbody's Insanity DVDs from a Chinese website, thinking they were real. I resold them on eBay (still thinking they were real, because they LOOKED so legit). Now I am being sued by Beachbody for $15,000 copyright infringement.

Is this right? Should I be being sued? Any advice is greatly welcomed.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I suggest that you get an attorney to help you negotiate a settlement.

cyjeff

Time to try to find "reasonable" expectations.

What, per set, was the Chinese site selling the DVD's for? What, per set, does Beachbody sell them for?

Why did you believe there was such a disparity in price?

FlyingRon

Whatever they were selling for just factors in whatever implausible gullibility he has. Why would something that sells only through controlled distribution channels have legitimate copies wholesale in China?

He's lucky they even got into the country, he probably broke a few laws there as well.

fastpicker89

Listen, I do forums all the time. I appreciate the advice, but don't break my balls ok? I understand there is an issue here, hence the posting. If you don't have advice I'm not asking for criticism in an already very serious matter.

As for the prices: I got 100 sets whole sale for $1600. The normal legitimate one set sells for $119. Obviously, this is legal gullibility. I'm an idiot for thinking that if I bought them at wholesale price that they would be that cheap. I know that NOW. Wish I'd known that then.

And no, now I know they were not legit copies obviously.

cyjeff

Listen, I do forums all the time. I appreciate the advice, but don't break my balls ok? I understand there is an issue here, hence the posting. If you don't have advice I'm not asking for criticism in an already very serious matter.

As for the prices: I got 100 sets whole sale for $1600. The normal legitimate one set sells for $119. Obviously, this is legal gullibility. I'm an idiot for thinking that if I bought them at wholesale price that they would be that cheap. I know that NOW. Wish I'd known that then.

You bought them at 1/10th value.

That is not a reasonable price. Reasonable would mean that any thinking person would realize that the copies were pirated.

Therefore, you probably cannot claim stupidity as your defense (which is what legal gullibility is).

Call the company. Offer to pay them the full price for any you sold and to send them the rest at your cost.

Better, have your attorney offer it.

You lose on this one... it is only a matter of how much.

Antigone*

Ok so continue to be an idiot and don't get an attorney. It is all on you pal.

tigi out:cool:

fastpicker89

You bought them at 1/10th value.

That is not a reasonable price. Reasonable would mean that any thinking person would realize that the copies were pirated.

Therefore, you probably cannot claim stupidity as your defense (which is what legal gullibility is).

Call the company. Offer to pay them the full price for any you sold and to send them the rest at your cost.

Better, have your attorney offer it.

You lose on this one... it is only a matter of how much.
I appreciate the advice. I've been talking with a lawyer and they're saying the same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">