• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I do not want to take on Microsoft. But...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Llamma123

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am interested in knowing the legal risks associated with creating Modchips for the Microsoft Xbox.

A bit of background, the Xbox Video game console is designed to play video games and DVD movies on your TV, it is based on an altered personal computer this in turn offers a cheap PC platform in a modified state. With a mod chip that replaces the standard bios, users can install Linux on their console and use it in a network configuration to do things besides play games. For info on the details see http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/

Lik-Sang is in a court battle with Microsoft currently regarding the legality of selling chips. Theirs were designed specifically to alllow the copying of illegal backups. For more info see http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3698.cfm

Much of the drive for mod chips is to illegally allow people to copy copyrighted games. This is not my goal.

There is a new bios available that does not allow users to break copy protection, nor does the Bios have any Microsoft copyrighted code, my plan is to create modchips that allow users to install Linux but do not allow the copying of software or unlock the region settings for DVD's. Once this bios and chip are installed the user could opt to install another bios that would allow them to do all the bad things the chips Lik-Sang was selling.

I am just one guy with a website an little to no resources. I cannot take on Microsoft in court.

I'm an American, I go out and buy a console I should be allowed to do what I see fit with it. I want to do something leagal (run Linux) can Microsoft stop me? I want to help others do the same can Microsoft stop me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">