• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I used images on the web that I shouldn't have... now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dan50

I'm a total novice at web design, and while building my first project, used images off the web as placeholders. I've always purchased images in the past and fully intended to replace these with licensed images before finalizing the site. While testing to see how different browsers view the site, I loaded this site onto a separate domain (not our main corporate site) we purchased as a test area.

In January one of our images was flagged (we received a letter which included a bill). We IMMEDIATELY removed the site an paid the bill since we were clearly at fault. Now, 8 months later, we've received a bill from another company who is referencing the cached images.

I screwed up, I know that, but am I going to be paying for this over the next 10 years? Is there at least a way for me to get the fees to a more reasonable level (both bills were for about $400/image which they reduced to about $350/image)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">