• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to make fridge mags and such like

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bettyboo

What is the name of your state? I am in the UK but laws are much the same. Sorry I am new to this site and not sure if I have posted in correct place. I am looking for some advice on copyright laws with reference to making and selling fridge magnets i.e. cat, dog, horses and some from a private collection of photo's i.e. very old film stills and memorabilia how do I stand on this as I would never trace the people who originally did work on the old pictures and the animal ones is there a law over cat and dog photos.
Can anyone advise me. Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bettyboo said:
What is the name of your state? I am in the UK but laws are much the same. Sorry I am new to this site and not sure if I have posted in correct place. I am looking for some advice on copyright laws with reference to making and selling fridge magnets i.e. cat, dog, horses and some from a private collection of photo's i.e. very old film stills and memorabilia how do I stand on this as I would never trace the people who originally did work on the old pictures and the animal ones is there a law over cat and dog photos.
Can anyone advise me. Thanks

My response:

Pictures are okay, just don't use magnets! Magnets interfere with the compressors in refrigerators, causing them to cycle on and off. This could be a very serious liability risk for you. I would strongly suggest that during the packaging process, you supply a 16 ounce hammer and some nails. Problem solved.

IAAL

HomeGuru

i respectfully disagree. Stainless steel sheet metal screws would be far better than nails and are recommended fasteners by the International Appliance Manufacturers Association. Per the IAMA installation specifications, the size and type of screw would largely depend on the size, weight and type of the "magnet" or item to be adhered to the refrigerator and if said item was to be placed on the freezer door or the refrigerator door side, if the doors were standard one side swing or side by side, and if the cold storage appliance was free standing or built-in and if an automatic ice maker and ice water dispenser were present. The BTU (British Tapping Unit) amount should be calculated based on both the type of appliance and the specific item to be attached to the appliance door, ie. entire year school calendar, soccer game/snack schedule, piano recital flyer, doctor's appointment reminder postcard etc..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Our writer is in the UK, and despite that fact, and the fact that this is a U.S. legal site, and despite the fact that the instructions CLEARLY state, "U.S. LAW ONLY - PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR STATE BECAUSE LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE", she writes here anyway.

Also, without any basis in fact, our writer states - -

". . . but laws are much the same."

Well, thanks for THAT conclusion!

Also, our writer wants to discuss something as inane as "refrigerator magnets" when the United States has JUST lost seven of its Astronauts!

Also, our writer wants to discuss something as inane as "refrigerator magnets" when the United States is just about ready to go to war against Iraq, and quite possibly lose many soldiers - -

But, SHE wants to discuss the legal aspects of "refrigerator magnets".

Give me a break!

IAAL

B

bettyboo

I am very sorry if I have offended you but I do not watch any news on television or read any papers as it is far too upsetting
I know this if for US law but I could not find one in the UK. I apologise again and will not be posting any more messages here.
Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bettyboo said:
I am very sorry if I have offended you but I do not watch any news on television or read any papers as it is far too upsetting
I know this if for US law but I could not find one in the UK. I apologise again and will not be posting any more messages here.
Thank you

My response:

Well, if you want to live in a cave, and not know what's going on around you, that's your business. But, I heartily suggest that every now and again you turn on the Tele and see what's happening.

There's more to life than "Refrigerator Magnets."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">