• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I would like combined two copyrighted video clips into one and post it on YouTube.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnybegoode

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I would like to combine two copyrighted video clips into one and post it on YouTube for the purposes of illustration or comment.

I extracted a clip from a TV comedy skit and combined it with a product commercial to illustrate that the joke "prediction" actually came through because the product company created and marketed a similar product like from the comedy skit.
It is really funny and I would like to post it to YouTube.

The comedy skit is from a major TV network and the product is from a fortune 500 company.
They definitely have to legal power to sue the **** out of me.
I actually bought and own that product, not knowing years before it was a joke in a TV comedy skit.

Question: How could I post this on YouTube and not get into trouble?

Can I cite
Fair Uses
Criticism and comment -- for example, quoting or excerpting a work in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment.

I do not intend to ask for permission because I would not get any response from them.

Please Advice!
Thanks!

Last edited:

justalayman

fair use is an affirmative defense for when they sue you. It will not prevent them from suing you should they think that is the best thing for them to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">