• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I List a Unique Idea for Video Game on Blog Do I Have any Protection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiFi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have what I think is a unique idea/concept for a PC/Video Game that isn't on the market as far as I know. I really have no way of developing this myself. What I'm wondering is, if I threw this concept into my blog which has about 150,000 different readers a month mainly from Google, and someone actually develops a game from this, am I legally entitled to Zero? I'm hoping if someone wants to do something with my concept, they'd give me a small % and possibly an advance. Is this utter foolishness on my part by putting this onto my Blog?

I don't have money to go to a lawyer or anything. I know I have some form of copyright protection but I don't know if advancing the concept on a blog is just
like giving it away for nothing.

quincy

Ideas alone cannot be protected by copyright. Games that have been developed past the idea stage can potentially, however, be protected under copyright, trademark and patent laws.

If you have a unique idea for a game that you think is worth the cost of developing, you would be wise NOT to present your idea on a blog for anyone to use. By doing so, you would be giving away your idea and you could expect nothing in return - except perhaps for a "thank you" from the person who takes your idea and runs with it. ;)

Your best bet, of course, would be to sit down with an attorney well-versed in IP law and discuss the options available to you. If you cannot afford to do this, HiFi, then perhaps you could, at the very least, develop your idea to the point where it can be protected. Write down your idea and flesh out the major elements of your game (the instructions or game play, design elements, etc), but don't do this on your blog. :)

Copyright protects original and creative works expressed in a tangible form. Trademark can protect the name of your game, logo, slogan or any other marketing identifiers of your game. And patent law can come into play with the design or appearance elements of your game.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">