• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Downloading & distribution of a movie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brkat02

Hello,
we were contacted today by our internet provider, they sent us a copy of a subpena that they received requesting records of our activity, We called the number and were told we illegally downloaded and distributed a movie using the bitlord program. I do not recall downloading this particular title, but may have. should I settle? they will settle out of court for $1500. and if I settle will it be on my record? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

There is no "record" here. This is a civil complaint, not criminal, especially if you settle (which occurs OUTSIDE of the court system, and is not like making a plea bargain).

Whether or not to settle is completely up to you. If you wish to allow them to take you to court, then that is your choice. If that is your choice, then I highly recommend going into it with the aid of an experienced attorney (my guess, though, is that even if you win, your legal costs, including that necessary attorney, could end up costing you more than that $1500).

Although this forum does exist to give free legal advice, considering the amount you're looking at paying/spending here, you really oughtta actually sit down with an actual IP attorney so he can inform you properly of your options and offer whatever insight he may have (many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of that and sit down with a couple).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">