• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm looking to start a financial blog / website and not sure I can use the name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baylor3217

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

the name of the blog is www.getrichODT.com

The ODT is short for Or Die Trying.

This was a phrase we used a lot growing up. 50 cent had an album named "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" and a movie / documentary by the same name.

I've done a trademark look up and the results said it wasn't registered. This leads me to 2 questions:

1) can i use the name www.getrichODT.com and say at the top of the site on my banner "Get Rich Or Die Trying"?

2) if there are any issues, does it matter that 50 cent's album / movie is called "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" and my catch phrase is "Get Rich or Die TryinG" with a G?

TIA

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

the name of the blog is www.getrichODT.com

The ODT is short for Or Die Trying.

This was a phrase we used a lot growing up. 50 cent had an album named "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" and a movie / documentary by the same name.

I've done a trademark look up and the results said it wasn't registered. This leads me to 2 questions:

1) can i use the name www.getrichODT.com and say at the top of the site on my banner "Get Rich Or Die Trying"?

2) if there are any issues, does it matter that 50 cent's album / movie is called "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" and my catch phrase is "Get Rich or Die TryinG" with a G?

TIA
Whether a name (or slogan) is federally registered with the USPTO is only part of the search that needs to be conducted. Another or others may be using this as an identifier. Federal registration, in other words, is not required for a trademark to have trademark protection.

Before investing a lot of time and money into your blog, you might want to have a more complete search done of the phrase. There are trademark search firms and/or you could see an IP attorney in your area to better determine your risks. Offhand (and without any research whatsoever on my part ;)) I do not see a problem. This could change if I actually delved a little deeper into the phrase you wish to use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">