• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorporating Material From Book Into A Seminar Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tannergesek

Illinois.

Hi, my question is about misappropriation. Specifically, I've spent around a year designing a seminar over academic achievement. In the process of researching and developing this seminar, I ran across a book that purports to have collected its data by conducting informal interviews with many students from some of the top students in the Ivy Leagues on topics ranging from study skills to time management to beating procrastination.

He packaged this method he cobbled together from talking to various Ivy League students into a book. He also maintains a blog. So this is where my question comes into play: how much of his material am I legally allowed to incorporate into my seminar if many of the techniques are common knowledge and common practice? Do I need to cite him on every technique (which honestly, are just common study skills that he gave a new name?) If so, can I circumvent whatever law is prohibiting me from incorporating his material by renaming the concept?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

There is NO safe amount of material you can copy. You can use his ideas, but his expression is protected. For example, I can teach a course on being proactive, beginning with an end in mind, first things first, think win/win, think first to undestand, then to be understood, synergize, and sharpen the saw without using any of Stephen R. Covey's material. Of course, I'd tread likey calling it Seven Habits because he does have that trademarked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">